• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling 5 tons in a deuce

M35a2duece

20170816_164452.jpg

Hauled 9800lbs of landscaping rock home in the deuce today. Worked great except turning it made loud popping noises on the rear. My first guess it's the leaf springs sliding back and forth on their perches. Anyone ever experience this popping?

Last edited by a moderator:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 695298

Hauled 9800lbs of landscaping rock home in the duece today. Worked great except turning it made loud popping noises on the rear. My first guess it's the leaf springs sliding back and forth on their perches. Anyone ever experience this popping?
I couldn't tell you at what weight it gets louder, but it does. Every time I've had a lot (7500+) in mine, it pops. I think it's the weight of the truck "pushing" the spring ends harder onto the ledge they sit on.

Obviously you should inspect the dog bones but I suspect it's just the weight.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I had over 5tons in mine and (highway)exchange ramps get EXCITING if you don't pay attention. She handeled the weight just fine all the way home from Columbus.

Barrman

If you ever have the opportunity to drive a M35 with the bed removed. You will be amazed at how much the axles move side to side while just going straight. They move a lot. The dog bones keep them all connected. They are basically made just like the ball joints on modern cars. Metal stud in a big rubber type enclosure. That rubber will dry out and break eventually.

I used my Gasser M35 with a M105A2 attached to pick up some gravel for the drive way a few years ago. They severely over loaded me. I was at 38,300 leaving the gravel pit. 24,000 pound load between the truck and trailer. I threw a fit but they wouldn't and really couldn't get it back out with the equipment we had on hand. I drove very slow the few miles to home.

About a month later I was driving the truck home at night empty. The Gasser is a blast if you have a slight down hill to help wind the engine out in the gears. I was doing that and noticed a bunch of smoke in my mirror as I went past street lights. It drove and handled just fine but I slowed down and went on home trying to think through what could be smoking.

I had a broken dog bone end and one of the axles had moved to where the tire was rubbing the frame. Didn't hear it, feel it or see it as I walked around the truck to drive away. Crawl under the truck and check. A prybar to lightly check for movement is also a good idea.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce rear suspension is a work of art. When loaded the rear housing brackets have a higher coefficient of friction so when the spring is finally forced to move, it does so with force.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks