• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling a deuce frame.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need some brainstorming here. Now lets suppose I were to buy a deuce frame and pick it up while at the GA Rally. I'll be driving a deuce and will be pulling a pioneer tool trailer behind me. I have a few ideas here but want to see what you folks can brainstorm here. The frame is a bare frame (or it will be by the time I depart). A deuce frame is a few inches short of 22 feet. Leaving the pioneer tool trailer at home is not an option, I'm picking it up too!

KsM715

Will your deuce have a cagro cover? if not then make up a quik and sturdy square tube head-ache rack and one for the rear of the bed, bolt them in and strap the frame up above your truck.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purchase a bolster trailer while there, and stack the frame & pioneer trailer on top???

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will your deuce have a cagro cover? if not then make up a quik and sturdy square tube head-ache rack and one for the rear of the bed, bolt them in and strap the frame up above your truck.
This was one of my ideas. One of my other ones was to just strap it in the bed and elevate the rear. It would stick out 10' but be right above my pioneer tool trailer which sticks out 11'. Sharp corners could be a problem.

Nonotagain

Make a ladder rack out of 6X6's to mount in the bed of your truck. Lift the frame onto the rack and bind it down tight.

When broken down the rack won't take up much room.

I take it that you have access to a wrecker for the loading portion since you have a wrecker at home?

tm america

I would make a sturdy (ladder rack ) for the bed of the deuce then strap it to that leaving it to hang over the front and maybe a couple feet off the back. That way you dont have to worry about it hitting the trailer or tracking bad in tight turns.i would probably use some 2.5x2.5 1/4 wall tubing . You could do two hoops in the bed and one that goes from the shackles in the front and bolts to the frame you are hauling .Just make sure you brace all the corners.But just one hoop at the rear to make it clear the trailer would probably be easiest. Make sure you strap the heck out it it either way

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make a ladder rack out of 6X6's to mount in the bed of your truck. Lift the frame onto the rack and bind it down tight.

When broken down the rack won't take up much room.

I take it that you have access to a wrecker for the loading portion since you have a wrecker at home?
I like the idea of using 6x6 products. Plenty sturdy too. I may have to offload the frame in Baxley GA and load a second trailer in the bed then load it back. Offloading here is obviously not a problem. Loading at the rally shouldn't be either as long as BFR shows up with the knuckle boom.

gunboy1656

Leave a set of axles on the frame, and make it into a temporary trailer. Put the tool trailer on the new trailer and strap it down.

Make an A-frame to hook onto the frame so it will be solid.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you made a temporary trailer you would have to have a lunette and a tongue.
If anyone is bringing an M105 to cut up you could use the tongue and axle out of it.
That's all I got.2cents

By the way...if we need it I have an portable oxy/act setup that I can bring....mig too.

gunboy1656

That was what I was meaning by A-frame. I don't think it would be hard to fab something up before hand.

Already have a truck to take dimensions, just have to get a lunette.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want a frame just say so and we will work out the transport later.
I want an original gasser frame and data plate. If this workks out, it's about the easiest way I'll get them. Once here, all the stuff off of my current truck will be swapped to the gasser frame.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK thought I would offer.. To much work in all the post's. What you have to do is talk Pete into going to Ga. and just slip in on the step deck when he is not looking.
Problem solved.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK thought I would offer.. To much work in all the post's. What you have to do is talk Pete into going to Ga. and just slip in on the step deck when he is not looking.
Problem solved.

LOL, that is a thought.

For the folks suggesting leaving the axles in the truck? Too late for that, Clarence the butcher has already been to work. This whole deal is a long shot and I'm probably stupid for even wanting to do this but I really want an old gasser based truck. This one is mostly gone but has the right data plate.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How heavy is the frame? That will decide if you can place it on a rack over the cab of the deuce. Too much weight that far above the the CG will make the vehicle your driving a turn over waiting to happen.
I would either 1) make the frame into a trl,(you still have time to work out the details) or 2) find a proper trailer to strap the frame to for the trip home.