• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have any of you guys put dual fuel tanks on a deuce?

DanielP

I am thinking that 100 gap or so of fuel would be nice. Other than bolting the 2nd tank on, what else would be required?

Sephirothq

just running the lines. You can just have a simple transfer pump to move fuel from you aux tank to your main tank. That is probably the simplest way. Or you could find the setups like on the M818 tractors. this includes a selector switch that is turned on with tank to pull and return fuel. YOu also have a switch on the dash for which fuel gauge you are reading.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning this install, just waiting until I can get up to AMGeneral's place to get my tank. I was planning to scrounge up a fuel selector switch.

dittle

Why not just do like commercial trucks and let gravity feed equalize the tanks for you? Then all you have to do is run the lines b/t the tanks and you're done.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would have to run the lines fairly close to the bottom of the tanks, and they could snag if you do any off roading. Or you could have one tank pump the fuel into the stock tank. Notice your gauge getting low, hit the switch, run a pump, then shut it off when the stock tank is full. Just don't forget or it will over fill the stock tank!!!

If you want to get really fancy, add a float switch to the stock tank that is triggered at a low and high point. Wire it to the other tanks pump, then when it gets to say 1/2 or 1/3, it fills the stock tank back up to 'full' automatically. Thing is, you would want a low cut out in the other tank as well, so when it runs out the pump isn't coming on and running dry.

If your going to go through all that trouble, just do the selector valve. Now on a deuce, you would also have to have a switch to control which pump you had running as well.

rflegal

I thought about this too as there is the sufficient frame rail space for two on the M36. Would there be any handling issues/load differentials with all the fuel on one side or would you want to balance the tanks, one on each.

And were do you take out the loan for the fill up?