• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hay how do I get my truck to work with

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that's your truck in the picture, the M37, you might have to do some serious mods to get 9.00x20s to fit, since you will need to change the wheel lug nut pattern, and probably jack the truck up a bit to fit the larger tires on there.

A better idea would be to use Gama Goat rims and tires, there are standard adapter kits to allow you to bolt on/off the 11.00x18 gama goat rims and tires onto an M37. You can get the adapters here:

http://www.snakeriver4x4.com/gamagoat.html

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the gama goat tires are wider, and a little taller, but your biggest concern is the wheel lug pattern. I believe the M37 has a 5-lug rim, the deuce is 6-lug. The gama goat is the same, 6-lug, but I have never heard of anyone producing an adapter to use deuce tires and rims on the M37.

Perhaps someone else out there has some info that may help bubba?

CGarbee

There are several folks that I know of (including Bryan Sage who is on this site) who have taken a ten lug rim and reworked it (redrilling alternate lug holes-have to shift the bolt circle in addition to changing the diameter and such) so that they fit on a M37.

Folks who have done this like the results, only difficulty is finding good donor wheels and in getting the machine work done correctly...

I'm sure that he will cjhime in...

Meanwhile, I have a page on my website with info on tires that have been fitted to the stock rims, and some other information concering the stock rims,lugnuts, etc...

Good luck.

m376x6

bubba_got_you said:
Hay how do I get my truck to work with 900x20 instead of 900x16 what do I need to do. :lost: aua
You need to carefully log onto ebay and search for M37 20" tires and wheels. There you will find 4 available that are ready to mount to your M37 with no modifications to the truck whatsoever. In case you are wondering about the origin of these here to fore unknown wonders, there are about 150 of these wheels in private hands around the world. They are not made by welding in inserts to the 20 inch rim but rather are offset machined to match the 5 lug Budd pattern. They are not split rim (most have no clue as to what a split rim actually is) but rather lock ring much like the original M37 Budd wheel and therefore require the use of a tube. You may ask the seller questions, but be very careful, he can be mean and rude and is often cantankerous. :wink:

Regards,
M376X6

Attachments

bubba_got_you

m376x6 said:
bubba_got_you said:
Hay how do I get my truck to work with 900x20 instead of 900x16 what do I need to do. :lost: aua
You need to carefully log onto ebay and search for M37 20" tires and wheels. There you will find 4 available that are ready to mount to your M37 with no modifications to the truck whatsoever. In case you are wondering about the origin of these here to fore unknown wonders, there are about 150 of these wheels in private hands around the world. They are not made by welding in inserts to the 20 inch rim but rather are offset machined to match the 5 lug Budd pattern. They are not split rim (most have no clue as to what a split rim actually is) but rather lock ring much like the original M37 Budd wheel and therefore require the use of a tube. You may ask the seller questions, but be very careful, he can be mean and rude and is often cantankerous. :wink:
Regards,
M376X6
Well I need to rewire the whole truck and paint it before i can spend anymore cash what I need is the seller to hold on to them for a couple months :wink: :wink:

JasonS

Does the M37 use a five lug bud wheel? If so, wheels from a forties-fifties era gmc truck will work. Looks to me like that is what is in the picture; based on the offset.

m376x6

JasonS said:
Does the M37 use a five lug bud wheel? If so, wheels from a forties-fifties era gmc truck will work. Looks to me like that is what is in the picture; based on the offset.
?? Yes, the Dodge M37 uses a 5 hole Budd pattern?? There are no wheels other than what was made for the Dodge 5 hole hole Budd pattern that will fit. Period, no ifs, ands, or buts. These wheels are made from using the older Chevy 1 1/2 ton farm truck style wheels. I don't recall any of the trucks, and there have been many, that were GMC's. There were around 7 varieties but only one style will work. Five of the original holes are modified by offset machining them. They simply cannot be drilled out. The wheels are fitted with a jig and then locked down on a vertical milling machine table and cut with an end mill, then countersunk with a carbide fitting to a specific depth. The offset of the wheels does allow for dualling. I have had some customers get sets that were setup for this purpose. It requires additional machining to allow for the reversing of the outer wheel. This adds some expense. When I was active in machining them I charged $115 apiece for the single wheel setup. The 11.00-18 tire is wider but not as tall as a 9.00-20. I've heard good things about the 11.00-18 setup from Tom, but am not sure about the supply of tires. It also seems the supply of 9.00-20's is drying up as well. For that reason and also because of the convienance of tubeless LAV wheels and the nice selection of surplus and off road market 16 inch tires, I have gone to setting up the LAV wheels. They are tough and seem to be a better fit for the Dodges. I've looked into having the LAV tires re-capped as well, the local (Denver) tire shop believes they should be readibly doable, I just haven't taken the opportunity to have it done. They do have some interesting and aggressive tread patterns though.

Regards,
Bryan

m376x6

bubba_got_you said:
so i cant just have the 20" rims redrilled and stuff?
If you're talking about six hole rims from a Duece, no I'm afraid not. The hole layout would cut across a couple of the five hole pattern you would need to make and the center hole is much too large.
If you did come across the right old Chevy wheels you would have to have them offset bored because if you try to use a regular twist drill bit it would drift off, or if you used enough force to try to hold it in place, break altogether.

Bryan

amanco

you would have to have them offset bored because if you try to use a regular twist drill bit it would drift off, or if you used enough force to try to hold it in place, break altogether.
Bryan~ Just out of curiosity here, I have no intentions of making any 20 inch rims for my M37, the steel in the bolt hole area of a rim isn't exactly thick. Why couldn't the holes be punched thru? I made a hitch for a wagon tongue out of 1/4" plate and punched a 7/8" hole right thru it with a hydraulic press for the hitch pin. I don't see why wheel stud holes couldn't be made the same way in a steel rim. Just chamfer them to mate with the lug nut afterwards

m376x6

amanco said:
you would have to have them offset bored because if you try to use a regular twist drill bit it would drift off, or if you used enough force to try to hold it in place, break altogether.
Bryan~ Just out of curiosity here, I have no intentions of making any 20 inch rims for my M37, the steel in the bolt hole area of a rim isn't exactly thick. Why couldn't the holes be punched thru? I made a hitch for a wagon tongue out of 1/4" plate and punched a 7/8" hole right thru it with a hydraulic press for the hitch pin. I don't see why wheel stud holes couldn't be made the same way in a steel rim. Just chamfer them to mate with the lug nut afterwards
Yes, they could be punched through, 1 1/4 inch hole, then chamfer. My hydraulic press isn't that big, it's easier for me to use my vertical mill. The angle on the chamfer is standard 82 degrees. If you need more dimensions give me a holler and I can talk you through it.

Bryan

bubba_got_you

I Know I sound like I am :deadhorse: but i cant afford to spent $2000 on tires and I cant afford anything right now or I would just buy the tires on ebay is there any cheaper way to change to a more common LARG tire for my m37 :?

m376x6

Nothing comes to mind as far as a cheaper way to go to get larger tires.

As far as g741 being "THE" place, maybe we can make SteelSoldiers the new "THE" place. There are a few of us who no longer want to deal with some of the issues going on at G741.

Regards,
Bryan

JasonS

m376x6 said:
JasonS said:
?? Yes, the Dodge M37 uses a 5 hole Budd pattern?? There are no wheels other than what was made for the Dodge 5 hole hole Budd pattern that will fit. Period, no ifs, ands, or buts. These wheels are made from using the older Chevy 1 1/2 ton farm truck style wheels. I don't recall any of the trucks, and there have been many, that were GMC's. There were around 7 varieties but only one style will work. Five of the original holes are modified by offset machining them. They simply cannot be drilled out. The wheels are fitted with a jig and then locked down on a vertical milling machine table and cut with an end mill, then countersunk with a carbide fitting to a specific depth. The offset of the wheels does allow for dualling. I have had some customers get sets that were setup for this purpose. It requires additional machining to allow for the reversing of the outer wheel. This adds some expense. When I was active in machining them I charged $115 apiece for the single wheel setup. The 11.00-18 tire is wider but not as tall as a 9.00-20. I've heard good things about the 11.00-18 setup from Tom, but am not sure about the supply of tires. It also seems the supply of 9.00-20's is drying up as well. For that reason and also because of the convienance of tubeless LAV wheels and the nice selection of surplus and off road market 16 inch tires, I have gone to setting up the LAV wheels. They are tough and seem to be a better fit for the Dodges. I've looked into having the LAV tires re-capped as well, the local (Denver) tire shop believes they should be readibly doable, I just haven't taken the opportunity to have it done. They do have some interesting and aggressive tread patterns though.

Regards,
Bryan
I have a '48 GMC with 5 hole Budd wheels. My GMC parts book lists several 5 bolt on 8" circle. What is the M37 bolt circle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks