• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket for LDS4651A

citizensoldier

Well my buddy(Dave P) and I fired up the M51A2 today and it sure does has a blown head gasket. It was popping out the front of the engine. "Good thing its a compression leak and not water jacket leak into the oil". I am quoting doctor Dave P... Anyway I may be in the market for a good front head and definately a head gasket for a LDS 465 1A multifuel engine.
Anyone have one or both ? Not sure how the block deck is yet so we will cross that bridge when we get there. Anyone have a government rebuilt one of these they would sell for a good price? If the block is warped I think shes comming out for a exchange, complete rebuild and installed in my M109 non turbo dog van...
Oh.. and whats the story about a special head bolt wrench? Is he pulling my leg simular to a kanootin valve, muffler bearing?? :roll: :?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The special head bolt wrench is required (so says the TM) to get an accurate torque value on some of the head fasteners. Look in the TM that covers head replacement, it's in there.

Remember, there are many 465 head gaskets, get the latest style.

houdel

Doubt you need a new block. Get the head planed, just the minimum needed to get it flat. A new set of the current head gaskets, God only knows what t hey are, but I THINK the latest gaskets have separate fire rings, and you should be good to go. Yes, use the proper head bolt wrench adapter, torque to specs, and retorque after a few hundred miles and you should be OK.

TacticalTruck

The newest version of the gasket dose not have separate fire rings and is black in color. I have never had to mill or replace the heads of a multifuel which has blown a gasket. Last time I bought the gaskets was from Tom at CSI inc in Ga. Rumor has it you can also get them from your local tractor dealer who carries White tractor parts. The new gaskets do not require re-torqueing and go by the torque values which come w/ the gaskets. I usually do both heads while I'm there and if you can lift them off it is quicker/easier to pull them both together w/o removing the manifolds.
Jeff

citizensoldier

Where do I get em?

I have emailed White Owl, Memphis Equipement, and M Series rebuild. If I dont here back from one of them today I will call them and maybe try Boyce .. Thanks for your help.
What you mentioned is what I plan on doing I just need the parts and the propper tools. Who has the wrench adaptor for sale?

citizensoldier

Typing at the same time.

We must have been typing at the same time. Just to explain a few things.
This truck was purchase by a small town in Nebraska along with another one to do a road project. During this project it blew a head gasket. The "villiage idiot" or mechanic replaced the head gasket but did not have the head milled or use a new head. It blew again right away and they parked it and used the other truck. So if I had to quess the head will need milling.
I dont follow about the manifold?? From looking at it you cant get either head off without taking the manifold completely off becouse of the studs? Am I missing something?
Thanks for all you help.

TacticalTruck

RE: Typing at the same time.

Star Electric has the tool for sale but i made one by welding the end of a combo wrench to a socket. The head may have blown again because they used the old style gasket. They are like playing Russian roulette, sometimes they hold, sometimes they don't. You can always check the head w/ a straight edge. The manifold stud/nut combo can be a pain in the arse and I prefer to update both heads to the new gasket while I'm there.

jasonjc

Satrun has the head wrench. If you make one like above you will have to compansat for the offset or your torq reading will be off do to more levage. They is also a tread on about get the gaskets from Herqules and white engs.

Towman2277

Once you do pull the "head or "heads", however you decide, use a straightedge, a true straightedge, and it will tell you if the surface is not flat and true. If in the slightest doubt, and if money allows-due to the expense and time involved in pulling heads, I would go ahead and have them milled the "Slightest" needed to have a perfect mating surface for the gasket. Just my opinion....... Steve