• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlight Questions

CSX4350

Hello listers, a newbie here with a couple of quick questions. i recently bought a 1968 M35A2 that had been "fully restored". We won't go into that....

Anyway, among other things the drivers side headlight is out. I went to remove it and found that I have no idea what I'm looking at. I've never seen headlight connectors like this. I understand that the wires are permanently affixed to the light, and I assume that they somehow unplug from the back of the headlight bucket. This is where I start to get lost, I don't understand how they unplug and don't want to break anything.

Second, looking into the left (drivers) side headlight bucket, there are electrical connectors at 10:00, 2:00 and 6:00. I assume one is low beam, one high beam and one is the ground, but which wire is which? I can see the wire at 10:00 has been kinked and is a bit frayed behind the bucket, just wondering if this is the low beam and could possibly be the problem.

I have searched quite a few different ways but couldn't find any information on these questions. I did see a thread on converting to H4's, and may just do that, but still would like this information.

TIA

John

Westech

CPL
ok first of all get the TM (technical manual) and START READING!!

you can get the lights off eBay or any of the military parts suppliers. The wires have a little crimp band with a number on it. That number matches with the number it plugs in to. If there rubber they just pull off... if there metal a 1/4 turn and it pulls off.. like a auto light bulb.

CSX4350

Thanks, I thought they would just pull off but as I said I like to check things out before I tear something up. It's cheaper that way... A quick voltage check showed me which was which and the wire I was worried about is the ground and is fine.

I have three different TM's, but couldn't find this information in any of them. Then again, they all read like bad Japanese stereo instructions.

runk

It is reasonably common to see the headlight wires without the nice rubber connectors on the wires. Mine had cheap plastic crimp splices (3), twisted bare wires (1), and the grounds to nearby bolts. There is a good wiring schematic posted in one of the threads on this site, make sure to read through the thread to find some corrections.

CSX4350

Wow, thanks for that, I never thought about the headlight schematic. Once I found it I saw that whoever installed the headlight got at least some of the connections wrong. If I'm reading the schematic right 17 is the high beam?

Thanks again.

Attachments

earnie

all of the connectors and related bits for the wiring can be sourced from saturn truck parts, to include the cool little wire tags, all ya have to do is stamp them with your numbers and good to go

while on the headlight subject,if i can borrow your thread for 1 question , where can i find the yellow 24 volt headlights for my deuce

badgmc56

earnie, the yellow headlights are on e-bay from time to time. Be ready to pay for them cause they are not cheap. Wagner has a number on them which I don't remember at the moment but I don't think they make them anymore. I'll see if I can get the number for you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send a PM to ZiggyO, he had some yellow headlights, a while ago.

#17 is highbeam

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks