• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlights don't work.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am trying to figure out why my headlights are not working on my M1009. All the regular service lights work like normal. The blackout switch on the right it up. I have checked all the fuses on the panel under the dash and they are ok. I have voltage at the 30amp fuse. No voltage to the headlights. I suspect that the civilian type pull headlight switch is bad. Is there any other fuses or relays that are headlight specific that need to be checked? Any idea how to check that pull switch? The headlights worked for about a minute when I first got it home from the base.

BKinzey

First, check your grounds. Then I'd check the switch. Look in the tech manuals section here. I'm sure there is a schematic there.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I hate wiring! I printed out the important TMs for CUCV a while back, so I have the wiring diagrams. Compared to the deuce wiring diagrams the CUCV kind of sucks. I really like the numbered wires on the deuce. Anyways it turned out not to be the headlight switch. I decided to just pull each connector under the dash. It looks to be related to the high beam switch. After pulling that connector I now have low beam lights. When I hit the high beam though it goes out. I hope I don't have to pull the steering wheel to fix this.

BKinzey

IIRC you won't it's the rod running down the column to the switch. You should be able to see the rod move when you toggle the handle.

Of course it helps to be able to stand on your head for long periods of time :lol: I took mine apart and re-greased it. Not too bad.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I figure I would conclude this thread for anyone that might have a similar problem headlights not working. I isolated it down to the headlight high/low switch on the steering column just inside of the dash on the underside of the column. I got the low beams to work by removing the wiring connector, and reinstalling it. When I turned on the high beam the all headlights would go out though. I played with the switch for a bit and it started working on occasion. The more I worked it the more reliable it was. I can only assume that the contacts in the switch had some corrosion that was rubbed of with usage. I have never had this happen in a vehicle, but then again my cars don't sit for a year.

Armada

[thumbzup] Good work! Were you able to blast some contact cleaner into it?
The sitting for long periods, harsh, dirty conditions, temperature extremes, etc., will all contribute to connection failures. It's amazing some of them even work sometimes....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks