• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlights/fuse box

Rangerpig

Here is the issue. The fuse that works for the headlights, taillights, blinkers, keeps blowing. After a few seconds it pops.
Here is the real question, when the vehicle is off, no key inside, light switch in off position, inserting a new fuse makes it spark! The fuse (30amp] 2nd row, far right seems to be active even when vehicle is off. Any ideas?

Ill start looking for wires that are open, and cleaning grounds for now.
Hard to read the headlight diagram.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

richingalveston

have you checked your voltages from batts and alt. for lights to burn out quickly they are normally getting to much voltage.
I believe some fuses stay hot all the time not sure which.

if you get sparks then you got a load. find out what is on that fuse ( I don't know without looking at diagrarm) then see what device is giving the load.

try and isolate the load to see if it relates to your other problems.

good luck
rich

Rangerpig

have you checked your voltages from batts and alt. for lights to burn out quickly they are normally getting to much voltage.
I believe some fuses stay hot all the time not sure which.

if you get sparks then you got a load. find out what is on that fuse ( I don't know without looking at diagrarm) then see what device is giving the load.

try and isolate the load to see if it relates to your other problems.

good luck
rich
Hey rich, thanks for the response. So the actual lights are not burning out, i miss wrote that. The fuse keeps blowing is what i meant to say. When i stick a new fuse in...it sparks.

cpf240

You mentioned a radio. A radio is not part of that circuit, so it must have been added later. Does the radio have a station memory, or a clock? Then it might require power all the time, and could be the source of your load that is producing the spark. Having said that, the lighting circuit on these trucks has been known to have issues melting the fuse in the fuse box, so I'd be very reluctant to add anything else to that circuit.

Rangerpig

You mentioned a radio. A radio is not part of that circuit, so it must have been added later. Does the radio have a station memory, or a clock? Then it might require power all the time, and could be the source of your load that is producing the spark. Having said that, the lighting circuit on these trucks has been known to have issues melting the fuse in the fuse box, so I'd be very reluctant to add anything else to that circuit.
Yea, i read something about the fuses melting. Radio is added in later. All i know to do is try and trace back wires, look for open wires, and clean grounding wires.

MarcusOReallyus

My condolences.

Agreed.

River, stop worrying about the horn diode and start getting familiar with the wiring diagrams in the TMs and the photos in the Helpful Threads sticky. You need to just start from scratch and put it back to stock, or you're never going to get anywhere troubleshooting. A complete idiot has been in there and nobody here knows what he's done and what he's messed up. Even if it all works, whoever made that mess is still an idiot, on his good days. If I owned a shop and an employee did that to a vehicle, I'd fire his sorry butt, even if it did all work.

And did I mention that whoever did that is an idiot?

My guess is the idiot converted it to 12v start, which is not automatically bad, but because nobody here knows what they did, we can't really help you figure it out. There is a standard conversion known as the "Roscommon" conversion, and some here have done that with good success. Because it's standardized, there are diagrams available, and folks can help with problems.

Folks here will do the best they can to help you, but that rat's nest is just a disaster. I recommend starting a new thread just for figuring out your mess there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks