• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heads Up - GL CUCV Auctions in Richmond, VA

the spotted zebra

Hey guys, my first post. Love the website & am really learning a lot by reading the forums.

I have been looking for a CUCV for the last few months. Taking my time to find just the right one. Something no to rough, but not to expensive either.

GL has 9 CUCV's up for auction this week & next. So I took the day off work today & made the 8 hour round trip to Richmond, VA. I was really interested in one of the M1028 dually. The truck looked beautiful in the pictures, but pictures can hide a lot.

Someone has torn the sides up on all of these trucks with a forklift. Every single one has damage on both sides. Most to the fenders, doors & bed. The beautiful dually that I was so interested in has a lot of body damage that is not in the pictures. All the pictures are very selective, hiding significant body damage. But some the damage looks to of been done after the pictures were taken. Beware!

Also, ALL of the pickups have bent drive shafts. Several are missing the right side alternators (selective pictures again). Most need all the tires replaced. Good news, there is one that is described as missing both doors, even though the doors are on the truck in the pictures. It does indeed have doors, so no worries there. Other than the body damage, & the above mentioned items, the trucks look fairly complete & in reasonable condition.

I'm not trying to turn anyone away from these trucks. I just wanted to get an accurate descriptions out there from someone that has actually seen them in person. If you are looking at these trucks & are going to bid based on the pictures, you will be sorely disappointed when you actually see your truck for the first time. Don't believe everything (or anything) that you read/see on the Internet. The cake is a lie.

Also, the 2 really ugly trucks that come up for auction next week, are just as ugly in person as they are in the pictures. So have at them.

I hope this may help someone out.

Good Day - Darren

Last edited by a moderator:

mahdey

Hey guys, my first post. Love the website & am really learning a lot by reading the forums.

I have been looking for a CUCV for the last few months. Taking my time to find just the right one. Something no to rough, but not to expensive either.

GL has 8 or 9 CUCV's up for auction this week & next. So I took the day off work today & made the 8 hour round trip to Richmond, VA. I was really interested in one of the M1028 dually. The truck looked beautiful in the pictures, but pictures can hide a lot.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=3102260&categoryId=1004

Someone has torn the sides up on all of these trucks with a forklift. Every single one has damage on both sides. Most to the fenders, doors & bed. The beautiful dually that I was so interested in has a lot of body damage that is not in the pictures. All the pictures are very selective, hiding significant body damage. But some the damage looks to of been done after the pictures were taken. Beware!

Also, ALL of the pickups have bent drive shafts. Several are missing the right side alternators (selective pictures again). Most need all the tires replaced. Good news, there is one that is described as missing both doors, even though the doors are on the truck in the pictures. It does indeed have doors, so no worries there. Other than the body damage, & the above mentioned items, the trucks look fairly complete & in reasonable condition.

I'm not trying to turn anyone away from these trucks. I just wanted to get an accurate descriptions out there from someone that has actually seen them in person. If you are looking at these trucks & are going to bid based on the pictures, you will be sorely disappointed when you actually see your truck for the first time. Don't believe everything (or anything) that you read/see on the Internet. The cake is a lie.

I hope this may help someone out.

Good Day - Darren

wow you are new aren't ya. First of all welcome to SS. Secondly, we know all this already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site Darren,
First, thanks for your report on the trucks. Second, don't let some of these guys rib you on your first post.

Yes, the issues with GL about damage, swapped photos, and missing parts are very well known to the old hats around here. But I don't expect every new person to instantly know all the issues that have been discussed on this forum for nigh on 10 yrs.

There are some rules in place about posts regarding auctions, I will leave it up to the moderators to see if yours is within the guide lines or not. You can find a list of auction posting rules here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/requir...d-gl-gsa-other-auction-posts-new-version.html

Second, please try the search function to find information before posting a question or new thread. It most likely has been discussed before. There is a ton of very useful information on this site, it just takes some creative digging to find it sometimes. The only reason I ask this, is so that when others search for 'brake problems' they don't have to read 40 threads. It helps cut down on the number of threads and helps with searching for everyone!

Not that we don't want you to ask questions or post ideas. But there maybe threads already that you can add your information to, so all the info on that subject will be in one place, and easy to find.

And if you have a quick question, you can jump in the 'mess tent' and chat if some of us are online and in it. I usually am during weekdays. You can always pop in and get some info or help.

Also, you can feel free to private message me if you have any issues or questions. I enjoy helping those new to the site and new to the hobby.

All in all, thanks for joining, and I hope you enjoy it here, I've made some really great friends and met tons of outstanding people thanks to Steel Soldiers.

Regards,
Adam

KsM715

Acehigh, I take it you need to do a little more searching on here about GL. They Foul-up everything with forklifts.

KsM715

I am kind of confused. I thought we were'nt to post about GL/GSA auctions especialy if it mentioned locations and specific items ( CUCV's at Richmond ) But since DH had already edited the OP's post and didnt axe it I didnt give my usual reply to these types of threads.

I wish I could put it as nicely as Ferro stated it.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are used car dealers, and then there's GL who sets the standard by which all others are judged. GL makes all other used car dealers look like the College of Cardinals.

We know this in our minds, but like the addicts we are, we still keep bidding and hoping we'll get lucky.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Well at least score 1 for steelsolders vs. GL forklifts. When i went to pick up a trailer a couple weeks ago the brakes were locked up on it and the guy tried pulling it out with the safety chain hooked to the cage thing right behind the forks, well the empty weight of the trailer is over 10k and bent the snot out of the cage and broke some welds.:-D

Westech

CPL
we can not list live auctions or state " I am bidding on -----blank---- truck" stating that a bunch of trucks at this place are beat to snot is ok. there was no listing of lot or auction numbers so were good.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
we can not list live auctions or state " I am bidding on -----blank---- truck" stating that a bunch of trucks at this place are beat to snot is ok. there was no listing of lot or auction numbers so were good.
True, but I'd still stay away from posting stuff like this. Anything that could possibly keep the auction prices can get you into trouble if you're not careful. The term "beat to snot" could be open for interpretation.

I don't think this is the case but somebody could say that about trucks that they are bidding on to keep the prices down. I say again, I don't think that's what the OP was trying to do.

IMO the best way to handle this is to post " If anybody wants to know about lots at X location PM me".