• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater Core Removal

tremmert

Hello,Does anyone have a tutorial or procedure for replacing the heater core on a HMMWV? I have the replacement core, but am unsure where to start...Thanks

ryanruck

Are you replacing the core only or the whole assembly?

I had to replace mine since mine was leaking when I got my truck but opted to replace the whole assembly just to keep it easy. Plus, a new blower motor couldn't hurt.

Replacing the whole assembly is pretty straightforward.

Disconnect the coolant lines. Undo the plastic fasteners for the side vent boot. A couple of the nuts for the mounting bolts are in the air box so you'll have to remove your intake cap and neck to get to them. Then unbolt the assembly and remove. Your rubber grommets for the cooling lines where they pass through the firewall may be hard/rotted so be prepared to replace them. The whole process is in TM 9-2320-280-20-3, Section 10-87 (page 164 in my PDF).

If you're going further and actually replacing the core in the assembly, I can't help with that.

If I were you, I'd recommend installing some aluminum nutserts instead of bolting it back in place with the original nuts. Using the nutserts will mean you won't have to pull the intake cap, neck, and such to remove the heater assembly in the future. I was glad I installed nutserts when I then decided to go back and upgrade the heater to an MRAP heater.

Last edited:

tremmert

Alright, I was able to remove the heater box in one piece. Thanks for the directions!

Unfortunately, I read in another SS forum that a 65-67 ford mustang w/ out AC heater core would be a close fit, but the coolant lines are not close together like they are on the stock core. Either drill another hole in the box, or go back to the auto parts store and see if they can find a core of the same size with the same coolant line locations...

I took photos, so I will upload them tomorrow...

ruSSrt

PIcs or it never happened......

Alright, I was able to remove the heater box in one piece. Thanks for the directions!

Unfortunately, I read in another SS forum that a 65-67 ford mustang w/ out AC heater core would be a close fit, but the coolant lines are not close together like they are on the stock core. Either drill another hole in the box, or go back to the auto parts store and see if they can find a core of the same size with the same coolant line locations...

I took photos, so I will upload them tomorrow...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks