• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heating Elements

pacebm

Just another in a long list of questions I will be asking as I setup my WMO system:

I am going to heat the oil before I filter it but I am not sure what size water heater elements to get. How are you guys sizing your heating elements? I was planning on running two elements at about 1/3 and 2/3 up the side of a 55 gallon drum. Also, are you just sticking the element into the oil or is it inside a thermowell so it doesn't touch the oil. I have clean new drums that I plan to weld in bungs for the elements.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to submerge the elements in a liquid- otherwise they burn out in short order.

An old electric water heater works dang near perfect. I would flip it so you have the dome at the bottom, to act as a better drain than what's on a water heater normally. Look for one with the safety in the middle of the top.

pacebm

My plans are to heat and let it settle, then go through several levels of filtration. The filtration will be an assortment of oil and water filters that get it down to at least 5 micron. If the WMO works well, I will get a centrifuge.

pacebm

I will be on the lookout for a used water heater! I looked over the Wolverine site and was trying to make sure that I could heat the oil up to 160 if/when I go to the centrifuge. I saw some pretty slick drum heaters, but just didn't see any in my price range for a test setup like I am running. If this turns into a long term operation I will definitely get an adjustable drum heater.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks