• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Height of Ring Mount Above Cab?

renovate7

I'm getting ready to install a ring mount. The 20 manual, dated 10/91, has excellent instructions starting on pg 14-70. It shows which leg goes where etc. What it doesn't tell me is height. I have 3 sets of holes on the back of the cab for the U bolts. If I use the lowest/highest, which are 17" apart, it leaves the arms of the mounts only 2" or so above the cab top. If I use the middle/top, which are 10" apart, it will let me set the mount 7" higher but I loose strength by having the U bolts closer together. I know I need the reinforcing plate. I did a search and found pictures from 2 different installs but they don't show me the height or which set of U bolt holes they used. If anyone can look at their mount and give me some insight it would be appreciated.

jwaller

it's all in the ring mount TM. also depends on the height of the person thats going to operate the MG. you want to use the top 2 sets of holes for the u bolts.

you not only need the reinforcement plate for the cab back but the plate that bolts to the top of the cab as well.

sermis

Re: RE: Height of Ring Mount Above Cab?

jwaller said:
you not only need the reinforcement plate for the cab back but the plate that bolts to the top of the cab as well.
New one for me. What is the plate that bolts to the top of the cab?

When I had my ring on before I used all 3 mounts and it was about 6" above the cab.

Any one know where to get the "U" bolts? I need 10.

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Height of Ring Mount Above Cab?

Readyman told me where to get my ubolts. I can't remember who it was I got them from. I put bolts through the holes in the legs and they held the legs at the right height while I got the ring positioned right. I can check tomorrow but I am pretty sure the top and middle holes are the right ones. The holes in my reinforcement plate left only two options. It did not have holes in the third spot for the u bolts. You might want to do a search. I posted about 20 pics of my install last year. They may help you out.

Chuck

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12192

jwaller

Re: RE: Height of Ring Mount Above Cab?

sermis said:
jwaller said:
New one for me. What is the plate that bolts to the top of the cab?

When I had my ring on before I used all 3 mounts and it was about 6" above the cab.

Any one know where to get the "U" bolts? I need 10.
you wont see this additional brace in the deuce books but it's in the 5T books. I'll snap a pic of mine tomorrow for all to see. it basically reinforces the upper cab rail where the old hard top would have been.

I used U bolts from napa. 1/2" od the originals were flat where they contacted the ring legs. never ever seen them avail. I went to napa and found some that will work.

David_4x4

Im sure it's all personal preference. I have our set a little under 1/2" above the cab bows. There the back rest is in my lower back to make spinning of the ring easiest.

Im sure if my father were to get in there, he'd like it a little higher...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks