• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Height of the pintel hitch on 818 with 11.00's

Hooty481

Just needing the measurement of from the pintel hitch to the ground from a truck with 11.00s on it. Also does any one know a way to put a Reese style hitch behind a m818 so I could pull a car dolley. Will need to be an easy way so that I can pull the car dolley with my vehicle and then hook behind the 818 and tow my vehicle wich is a small truck 2 wheel drive Toyota. Any ideas are great thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be about 36". Frame rails are 34" wide so most truck receiver hitches can be adapted. Thats the easiest way to attach the dolly.

papercu

That is not much of a load, your dolly is going to be bouncing around like a roller coaster and you want something temporary? Wayne

KsM715

My 818 on 11's sits 31" to the center of the pintle.

With the way the hitch drops on the tractors I dont see a truck style receiver hitch going on without major modification. Not something that can be accomplished in the "yard"

The is someone on here with a drop down hitch that hangs in the pintle.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hooty481

I can't see in that picture how his was made or maybe I missed it... I just thought about one of those Reese style hitches that bolt to the bottom of a bumper with 2 3/4" bolts might be a possibility just drive the truck off the lot to a truck stop and drill the 2 holes and bolt it up shouldn't take to long. What do you think?

KsM715

On the 818 the taillights and reflectors drop down below the frame right where you would want to install the hitch.

This pic is a 932a2 but the rear end (hitch and tail lights) are the same as an 818

Attachments

Last edited:

Coldfusion21

What about a towbar mounted on the little truck? Like the ones the old folks use to tow their rav-4 behind the 50' rv?

That would be money and work, but you could get it all ready before the recovery.

Other option is just drag along a buddy to drive little truck back. His meal plus gas for the little thing is gonna be way cheaper then any of this plus you never know when you'll need a "soldier b".

Would a small-medium mil towbar work? Not familiar with the military towbars but with "axle clamps" they seems like they could be pretty universal.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:

Hooty481

i dont know anybody around here with a tow bar for a military vehicle or i dont know of a old person towbar with a pintel ring on it. The buddy will be with me any way but it will be a long drive by your self i think the trip is 600 miles. any other ideas. thanks

aggopian

options

I did a search and found this: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/46506-deuce-removeable-hitch.html Something like that could be fabbed up to work on the 818. if you had access to one before your recovery you could get it built and test fitted.

do a search for "removable and hitch" there are more threads on this to give you some ideas.
Here's a way to save time. I've seen these on Ebay for about 100 bucks. You would need to fab lower links but it would cut down on the fab work. Shoud be fine with the light loads (and plenty of safety chain)

Flexpoint Adapter Turns Your 3-Point Hitch into Versatile 2in. Receiver, Model# FPHS-1 | 3-Point Hitch Adapters | Northern Tool + Equipment

KsM715

Yep. Theres no unbolting and bolting on a new hitch in this case.

That northern tool 3pt hitch might work. Put a pin thru the toplink point. (might have to put a bushing in it to take some slop out and get some hefty flat stock and remove the lower link pins, drill the flat stock and bolt it to the hitch and run the stock up to some point on the frame. Get lucky and might even get to use an existing bolt hole on the frame.

Last edited:

ranchhopper

One other thing is the frame on an 818 is really hard steel I found this out bobbing one it will eat up drill bits fast not something I would do in a parking lot somewhere.

midcounty

I would say a tow bar on the toyota, make a light cable with a military plug and 24 volt lights you can mount on back of the toyota. If you have to, get someone to fab you a mount on your toyota to use a military tow bar. The toyota can't be real heavy, so a good fabrication shop shouldn't have a problem. Then buy a military tow bar, and you will have it for future use as well. It's still going to be much cheaper to have your buddy drive it.

KsM715

I would say a tow bar on the toyota, make a light cable with a military plug and 24 volt lights you can mount on back of the toyota. If you have to, get someone to fab you a mount on your toyota to use a military tow bar. The toyota can't be real heavy, so a good fabrication shop shouldn't have a problem. Then buy a military tow bar, and you will have it for future use as well. It's still going to be much cheaper to have your buddy drive it.

Like this?:driver:

Attachments