• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from MO

TripleSteel

New here. found the site while trying to research a potential purchase of a M52A1.

Still trying to find gather books and TM for the rig, so I can restore it to its former glory.

thanks for having me...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
New here. found the site while trying to research a potential purchase of a M52A1.

Still trying to find gather books and TM for the rig, so I can restore it to its former glory.

thanks for having me...
Welcome from North Carolina! You should be able to find the TM's for your potential purchase here. The -10's are operators guides, parts TMs as well as maintenance TMs. They will answer a lot of questions - and there are lots of folks here with practical experience. Heck, there is even a full publication on how to properly grease the truck!

BE SURE to post a picture of your new ride - or even a picture before you buy it - to get a second opinion. We have a lot of those here and I haven't talked to a member yet that wasn't willing to offer suggestions.

You will love the hobby. It won't be like buying a new pickup truck... You absolutely WILL BE working on it somewhat regularly for maintenance and making repairs that got (possibly) overlooked by the previous owner. If you like turning wrenches and driving a big truck - you came to the right place to share that adventure with a bunch of others that think the same way.

Again, welcome to the hobby!

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! Glad you're here. Just like Tim (Mullaney) said, there is a ton of great information here, and a lot of great people who are very willing to answer questions and give advice. Enjoy!

TripleSteel

Well here it is...
non running mack engine and missing a few of the parts that make it a m52. I'm looking at you dual fuel tanks, tool rack / spare tire, military fifth wheel and risers.
Truck is clean as far as rust though and just 10 secs of cranking builds air and 30+psi of oil pressure.
It got the depot refit in 75 with the power steering and possibly the trans upgrade.
I can seem to find the service manual i need for the mack engine TM 9-2815-207-35 except for one site that i can only view one page at a time.
if someone has this digital or i missed it on here please let me know
Snag_7049c675.png
also i gather the ENDT673 is well liked but uncommon. are there any good sources of parts left for it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad thing about ENDTs is that they have a narrow powerband. The good thing about ENDTs is that they have a powerband. Your truck sure looks like and M54 or the like converted to a tractor. Foot longer wheelbase. I think it's great looking. Member AMGENERAL was a thermadyne enthusiast, he had a bunch and could really tune them. Try sending him a PM.

TripleSteel

Thanks all for warm welcome.
@Recovry4x4 you could very well be right. after i looked closer to the photos. ill measure the wheelbase when i look at truck next.
one of the quirks this truck has is the id plate on the dash and the depot refit plate have been stamped m725 but the title matches and is listed as a tractor...
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a m725 a jeep w/ ambulance body.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all for warm welcome.
@Recovry4x4 you could very well be right. after i looked closer to the photos. ill measure the wheelbase when i look at truck next.
one of the quirks this truck has is the id plate on the dash and the depot refit plate have been stamped m725 but the title matches and is listed as a tractor...
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a m725 a jeep w/ ambulance body.
Correct, M725 is the 60s Jeep with ambulance body. Look (extremely close) at your left frame rail between the front axle bumper forward. SN should be stamped there albeit very lightly. Don't sand too heavy, they might disappear. Post those up and we might be able to decipher it. Shoot, what number did they stamp into the data plate.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting indeed. Firstly, click on this link and look at the PDF titled M54A1WW. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/carnacs-historical-vin-info-thread.193055/post-2258506 Looking at the formats of the VIN numbers there (only 3), we can surmise that the 725 in your VIN is just the format and has nothing to do with an actual M725. At the very beginning of that thread CARNAC explains that the numbers are only as accurate as the PFC that entered them. I know factory built ENDT trucks were few, some folks will say that all of them were gasser repowers, I'm not convinced. So, you have an M54A1 W/W. I'd say a pretty cool find. One of the VINs was really close to yours. FWIW, my son bought an M49A2C that has been out of service for nearly 20 years and his VIN was listed in the CARNAC pdf files.

Ooops, we have an edit here. I looked back at your truck and noted it didn't have a winch. Even though the DATA Plate said w/w, I just went and checked out the M54A1 PDF from the above link. Low and behold, your VIN is on this list. It shows it as a 68 but whatever your paperwork says, I'd leave it at that. It's just not worth the effort to fix that. Hope all this drivel helps understand what you have!

Last edit, I went back and saw where the depot stamped an O near the W/W to indicate WO/W.

Last edited:

TripleSteel

Awesome info. If i recall endts were installed 1966-68 and could very well be original if the vin comes back as a 68 .
Im heading down inspect truck and to do the paper work now, anything else i should look for or try to get it to fire up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't help with getting her lit up but it's sure worth the effort to save it. At least you know pretty much what you're dealing with.

TripleSteel

Well I bought the truck still not running. Long story it is not the fuel but a bad valve train. Bend pushrods and valves missing retainers . Time to start finding parts I guess.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to the site, in process of procuring one myself, already have a M127 trailer. Both will need some love. Sorry for your luck with the engine, post in the wanted classifieds someone out there has everything you could need, might even find a complete engine from a truck someone is parting out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just stumbled across this. Search a very popular auction site. Use this exact search term and see what pops up. 11GBA12006P1

Hint, it's TM 9-2815-207-35, something you may need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks