• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello new MEP002a owner here.

pamudbusters

Hello, I just got my first MEP002a Genset. I say first because I just found out the action seller painted over the the part that said Knocks wont start. So I guess either I need to buy another one and use one for parts or learn how to rebuild the Onan! But, on a more positive note contrary to what the note said on the Genset. I did get it to fire and run, but just enough to verify that it does indeed knock like a champ and seems to be running on one cylinder. Any info on rebuilding the Onan motor or parts would be greatly appreciated.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Download the TM's from the resources section. They tell you everything you'll ever want to know about that engine and how to overhaul it. The detailed engine information you'll be interested in is in the -34 manual. The 3 manuals you'll want to download are

TM 5-6115-584-12 (unit level maintenance)
TM 9-6115-584-24P (Parts manual)
TM 5-6115-584-34 (depot level maintenance)...rebuilds and overhauls

The -12 and the -34 manuals are on page 6 of the Tech manuals section. The -24P parts manual doesn't seem to be in the resources section. If you want it, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

The only problem you may run into is finding a supplier for the parts. Another member rebuilt an MEP-003a (same basic engine parts as the MEP-002a, it just has 2 extra cylinders) last year and said most of the bearings and stuff are still available. I can get in touch with him and ask for the contact information from his parts supplier for you.

What part of Cambria County are you in? I'm originally from just outside of Altoona and my sister-in-law is from the Ebinsburg/Carrolltown area.

pamudbusters

Thank you Speddmon For the info. I am in what used to be Barnsboro. they have put several of the smaller towns together and called it Northern Cambria. I have only lived here like 10 years, I was born and raised in Lancaster, Pa, Well Ephrata and lititz area.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Small world...I have an uncle who lives in Ephrata.

Also went to trade school with several unemployed coal miners from Barnsboro...It used to be a really nice quaint little town.

Welcome aboard and if there is anything I can do to help out, let me know.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been many surplus engines auctioned, lately. I bet there will be more to come.

The ones I've seen were coming out of Pa.

LuckyDog

Download the TM's from the resources section. They tell you everything you'll ever want to know about that engine and how to overhaul it. The detailed engine information you'll be interested in is in the -34 manual. The 3 manuals you'll want to download are

TM 5-6115-584-12 (unit level maintenance)
TM 9-6115-584-24P (Parts manual)
TM 5-6115-584-34 (depot level maintenance)...rebuilds and overhauls

The -12 and the -34 manuals are on page 6 of the Tech manuals section. The -24P parts manual doesn't seem to be in the resources section. If you want it, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
The TM 5-6115-585-24P is for the 10kW. The units are so similar that I found it useful.

The two links below show the commonality of parts.
Table D-6. Parts Commonality ((5KW, 60HZ (MEP-002A), 10KW, 60HZ (MEP-003A). 10KW, 400HZ (MEP-1 12A) DOD STD Diesel Engine Driven Sets)). (cont)
&
Table D-6. Parts Commonality ((5KW, 60HZ (MEP-002A), 10KW, 60HZ (MEP-003A). 10KW, 400HZ (MEP-1 12A) DOD STD Diesel Engine Driven Sets)). (cont)

From the BATTLEFIELD DAMAGE ASSESSMENT AND REPAIR FOR GENERATORS

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks