• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello To All - M-43 Owner In NE Ohio

rocketfest

Hello all - Have been lurking on this great forum for a while, thought I'd hop on today. I have a M-43 ambulance recently moved to my home in Ohio from Chatsworth CA where it had been in open storage for ±20 years.I purchased in 1978 from a military vehicle movie supply dealer, partially stripped. My truck was used extensively in movies and TV including quite a few episodes of MASH, the very last MASH episode resulted in my right door getting smashed during filming.

Looks like lots of great reading and information to enjoy here. I need a few parts for my truck, such as one rear door hinge, and rear lifting shackles and brackets. Avatar is one of my buddies in it on the morning it arrived in Ohio.

Best - Franklin J. Graf

Mike_L

Welcome to the area and to the site. If you aren't in any hurry, there is the Findlay show coming in May. There are usually all kinds of M37/M43 parts floating around there and in August the national MVPA convention will be in Dayton.

Ohio has a lot of parts floating around. That is why I love coming over to the shows. You may want to check the Ohio Motorpool site. They have newsletters available for download that have ads and parts suppliers in them.

gunboy1656

Welcome to the site, there are a lot of Ohio guys on here. I am a a little over an hour east of you in PA. This summer there is a bunch of shows coming up in Ohio.

oilcan

Welcome to the nut house. You're in good company.

It's great that you have a truck with an interesting history. There are only a handfull of guys here with "famous" vehicles.

91W350

Looks like Squirrelly Shirley got a heart transplant! Welcome to the forums.... Those old ambulances used to be parked all over the country, all of a sudden, they were all gone.....

rocketfest

:grd:This one was parked under a oak tree in Chatsworth CA for 18 years... Finally got
a spot for it inside at my shop in Ohio... Notice it's Oldsmobile powered... F.J>

hey there Rocket, welcome to S.S. from a fellow(former) Wayne Countian (I think i may have invented that last word...:smile:). originally from Doylestown, temporarily stuck in B-tucky... great score on the m43 ! the M37 hooked me on m.v's at a very young age, but thats the truck that originally got me wanting to build an offroad camper out of an ambulance... considered a canadian comm truck(m101?) that i know of locally if you need a parts truck or project... but i dont have the time or resources to repower and regear, and make it reliable enough for cross country travel... thus, the reason i ended up with the M1010... but, i did get my M37 finally this past spring ( 17yrs after i tried to buy my first one, only to have it sold out from under me...for $250 !!aua)... about your purchasing it in Chatsworth, did you live out there or just have a long long-term storage? i was just over the hill in simi valley for about 3 1/2 yrs. if you did live there, im sure youve been to Malibu Creek State Park, which was originally MGM(?) Studios property where M.A.S.H. was filmed. they have an m43 and an old jeep or mutt that they couldnt get out of the lot before a forest fire hit, which caused them to alter the last episode, and make it seem like the enemy was was attacking the base and they had to evac ( i believe that was wat they did in the episode, but cant remember for sure... just know the fire part is true)... but anyways, again, welcome, and id love to see your M43 if ur ever out in the barberton or doylestown area!! or feel free to p.m., im always looking to meet fellow m.v. enthusiast in there area.

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

A little late, but I thought I'd give the thread a bump, and see what you're up to! How is it coming, or should I say, is it done yet? Time for more pics....

Welcome from your friendly neighborhood of Portage County! (Guess I'm about as new as you though...):cookoo:

Oh, and gotta love the Olds Rocket! What is the engine? 350? We got a '72 Cutlass supreme....