• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help finding/buying M35 Deuce

Synergy

I'm brand new and really tore into this site with searching for various phrases and words looking for information or advice on how and where to buy my first m35. I've decided 2.5ton just to get started and also want a m923a2 once I'm ready for the CDL and registration fees here in iowa. So far being right in the middle of the country seems to be slim pickings. Not looking to start up a debate so keep it simple. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Searching you would try "Military trucks" this works good on C/L or "M35A2" or "m35" or whatever variant your looking for.
For the most part the days of buying them from government auctions are long gone . There are a few for sale in the SS classifieds , e-pay ect.
You may still find a few project coming out of forest service auctions , but don't plan on driving them home and plan on a lot of work before you do drive it , they are usually pretty beat when turned in then sit for long periods of time before going to auction.

Download and read the TM's the -10 at least before you even look at them.
TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.
GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf M35 complete diagram of with descriptions of all components.

And be sure to read this thread ;
Insurance

cost of ownership (the real cost of a deuce)

So you want a cheap GL Deuce....
So you want to buy a Deuce (final).doc (49.0 KB, 868 views)

the rest of deuce TM"s here;
TM's for the Deuce

Last edited:

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you post a wanted ad in the classifieds of this site you'll probably find some trucks. You have a better chance of driving one home if purchased from somebody on here that maintains them well enough.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only advice is to have a good number of what you are willing to spend on the truck. Then keep a couple grand around in case for repairs or maintenance. Just don't be scared they are awesome trucks once you do some work to ensure your stopping ability is PERFECT, fluids changed, and your tires are good. Recovery is always a gamble if you plan to drive home. Do a little searching about some of peoples experiences on recoveries and you will see some people have excellent luck and some don't. I took a big gamble on my deuce recovery and trust me Murphy was around every corner. I did have God looking out for me as always and I made it home fine. Take a TM with you.:grd:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you buy anything in the Southeast I can get it hauled up to you for $2 a mile on a deuce. $2.60 a mile for a 5 ton.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are a couple of schools of thought on buying your first deuce.

One is buying a fixer upper and learning how all the systems work and are maintained.

The other is to buy a turn key truck from someone who buys and flips them and get instant gratification just driving it and taking it to events.

You will spend about the same either way (in my experience).

This is especially true if you want the extras like a winch, hardtop and the dual circuit brakes (mostly on ex-Air Force trucks).

I've bought/sold/traded/scrapped over 200 trucks since I got in this game and have had good and bad luck buying trucks.

The biggest money pit I ever owned was a M816 Wrecker. Unless you are a glutton for punishment stay away from wreckers.

If you have basic mechanical skills, some decent tools and some space to work on them these trucks can be a lot of fun.

They can also be frustrating to the point of insanity. auaauaaua

Fellow member ZiggyO did have some deuces in Nebraska but I don't know if he's interested in selling any.

Good luck in your search.

Synergy

Yeah, never thought I'd find so many options in my back yard. Really exciting. Now when purchasing, are prices all over the place? I found a bobbed duece for 15k just searching, I really like all the purchase recovery stories but not lots of recent stuff

dmetalmiki

I'm about 70 miles from you and have about 15 to pick from in South Dakota. PM sent.
Here IS your (Very) best option. Trucks. A member. A selection. Go and have a look, Maybe have a try out. You will be pleased in your own mind then. Report in when you HAVE purchased one, and pictures or video of the DRIVE home. Good luck.
Welcome to the site, Hobby, friendships, and events to come. WITH your 'newly' acquired truck.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1969 Kaiser M35A2 W/W for sale. It's located in North Georgia so it's not near you. You can check it out in the classifieds if interested. $6500.00 OBO

Attachments

Synergy

I have a 1969 Kaiser M35A2 W/W for sale. It's located in North Georgia so it's not near you. You can check it out in the classifieds if interested. $6500.00 OBO
I've been missing out, I installed tapatalk and now I can see the attached images. Before I thought they were too old and long gone but I figured this post is brand new WTH. Sweet, north Georgia... whew... lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started looking online-(Craigslist, Military Surplus sites) & was able to find a truck local to me, was able to go see it and drive it. I would also suggest buying from any of the members on here too, all have been very helpful to me.