• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP - How do I install a Bridge Plate

houdel

I just bought a subdueded NOS bridge plate kit. I'd love to install it on my Deuce, but it did not come with any instructions. It came with a couple of bracket and a package of nuts and bolts, do I'm kind of at a loss here. Is there a TM/TA anyplace that describes how to install the bridge plate kit?

Second question - how do I determine the right digits to set on the bridge plate. As you can see from the photo, the top half moon plate has a "C" on one side and is blank on the other side, and the lower digits can be set from 0-9 on either side, for a rating of 00-99. What is the significance of the "C", and what is the significance of the numbers? I assume the numbers indicate the gross (loaded vehicle, but that is just my guess). Anyone have any solid information as to what the numerals mean?

Final question - I have an Arctic grille cover on my Deuce (needed here in Western Michigan, normal winter time temps around here range from 20F to below 0F). ASSUMING I can figure out how to mount the bridge plate, does it go UNDER or OVER the grille cover. I would expect to mount it over the grille cover, since the flap will most likely be closed from now to springtime. That means I will have cut some holes in the cover to mount the bridge plate. Anyone else been there/done that, any suggestions?

BTW, I bought my grille cover, bridge plate and assorted other Deuce parts from George (VTSCM37 on Ebay, phone number 802-864-4762). I highly recommend George, his prices are VERY reasonable and he has tons of Deuce parts. George does NOT like emails, if you need ANYTHING for a Deuce give him a phone call, I would expect him to have what you need at a very satisfactory price! Anything you order from him usually ships the next day. I am VERY pleased with his parts and service! And no, I do not get a commission from George for referring new customers. It is just a pleasure working with a "I'll get it done right away" type of guy.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
in the paint tm it covers this tb43-0147, mite be in the tm section

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
George also ships with USPS economically with small packages. The "C" means combination vehicles. The almost standard number for a deuce is 8. There is lots of information here on bridge plates if you care to do some searching. I've never seen one mounted over the winter cover but I have seen them mounted on the R fender.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I forget the exact TM for the weights but it's used to compare to the bridges in the theatre of war. The Corp of Engineers would post the weight numbers on bridges and if your truck exceeded that, you crossed elsewhere. The 8 doesn't really formulate into figuring the weight, they just had numbers that increased as the weight increased. Had much to do with ground pressure as well so some heavy track layers had light bridge plates.

MrAugust

Re: RE: HELP - How do I install a Bridge Plate

houdel said:
Ken - What does the ""08" mean? how does it compare to GWV?
08 means tonage, for bridge weight, c means combination or coupled as in trailor, pending on the erea you have yoyr truck in pends on colour. as mine is 60s its Yellow.

5 ton trucks plate is on the wing, 2.5 tons, its on (as looking at truck) left hand side, fit first bolt to plate and use firs rail in, then pivit to other bolt horisontal... its tricky but easy... tighten up fit plates in job done

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: HELP - How do I install a Bridge Plate

Duct tape always works wonders, no matter where you want the bridge plate. It's relatively straight forward once you look at the hardware given in the kit, and the pics above.