• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help ID a transfercase

Foreverunstopable

Hi guys. I have a bit of a problem. I got a custom truck for my birthday. Its a 74 C-65 w/ stock engine 366 Tall-deck, stock trans CL280V but was converted to 4x4. After researching the axles are the Rockwell front loader type on the early deuce. Here is my problem. The transfer case is most likely from the same truck and I need to either rebuild it or get another one. The front output to the front axle will turn with the transfer case going forwards. In reverse it locks up. I took out the drive shaft and I and spin the output counter-clockwise by hand, you feel a little "clicking." I try to then turn it clockwise and it engages with the transfer case. What do you suggest. Attached are pictures of the transfer case. There are two sets of visible numbers

F173 on a flange to the right of the rear end on the transfer case

GM1
H53 on the back near the middle stamped upside-down

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

RICE670

Looks like my ww2 1.5 ton chevy t- case. I would have to crawl under my truck to be sure.If I can remember to do it I will tommorow afternoon.I have extras also. Regards scott

Foreverunstopable

That would be great! I'd love to get the truck on the road and running. Do you know the model number by any chance? I'm not sure what to ask for if I called a surplus yard. Thanks again!

RICE670

Try checking out vehicles of victory.com Its all about the g506 series chevys. I will do my best not to forget you and check mine against your pics. Regards Scott

Foreverunstopable

It looks like there is a drum brake assembly for the parking brake on those models. I don't have a drum brake assembly on my transfer-case. Its odd that it doesn't list any model specification anywhere on the site for the transfer cases. Just says 2 speed. Thanks for the link tho. The axles are different also. I have what looks to be front loader Rockwell axles.

Attachments

RICE670

I think I can see the remains of your park brake bracket.Cut off? That would explain the unused rear output yolk. Regards Scott

acetomatoco

Seems to be one shifter shaft not connected? The banjo diff is surely GM style run the GM number past the CCKW collectors to see if it is common WW2 or newer.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, they have to be either CCKW or M135/M211 series axles.........

And you learn soemthing every day...the 2 fill plugs and the 2 level bars (see last pic): "Front oil level" and "rear oil level"

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That transfer looks like that from the G749 GMC duece of the 1950's. It is a sprag type case, single speed permanent underdrive, and needs a mechanical signal from the transmission to tell it which way to turn for forward or reverse.

The two shafts are for drive/neutral and forward/reverse signal.

Normally the front drive shaft will rotate one direction and not the other. This rotation is changed with the signal poppet shaft position.

My memory notwithstanding.

dg

GM 7411327 ratio 1.16to 1 ( single speed ) the shift rail that is hooked up when it is pulled out it is for reverse when it is pushed in it is for driving forward should have a inturnal spring putting presure to pull it in to the case. the shift rail not hooked up is for in gear or neutral . neutral is in .in gear is out .so when you drive the truck forward there must be somthing that let's the rail slide in and in reverse this rail must be pulled out . if it locks up the TC may still be good in reverse the truck should locked in 4by4 mode and in forward the frount axle will kick it self in if the rear axle starts to spin kenny

Foreverunstopable

The lower rod is connected to a lever in the cab. Before I knew what the lever did I thought it was for high and low speed. I was defiantly curious as to why I could not find a neutral. The truck drove forward in both settings before I installed the drive shaft. I will have to go back and try to turn the front output counter-clockwise with the drive shaft removed in the reverse setting, then change the selector and try turning it forwards. I hope this is the only problem.

RICE670

It looks just like my chevy t-case.Maybe I missed this but does it have HI/Lo range? That would narrow it down. I have a clean one I can check the numbers on if need be. Regards scott

Foreverunstopable

[Crossing Fingers] Is there any transfer-case that would be a direct swap for mounting position that would be more updated or have a high-low? If not where can I get a replacement case if it turns out the front output it shot? Is there a TM that outlines a rebuild?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wouldn't a deuce air shift transfer be a good swap for this?

All he'd have to have is an onboard air source...............

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, the Deuce (m35, not the earlier M135/211) transfer is a divorced, stand alone unit. One input (from the tranny), 2 outputs (one for the rear axles and one for the front axle). The front axle is engaged with an air solenoid, controlled from a switch under the dash. That's your need for an air source.

It's hard to tell from your pics, but I suspect it would work, although you would have to fabricate some mounting brackets.

Foreverunstopable

How much do those cases go for? I'm not really handy with fabrication work. Does anyone know of someone in Florida that could lend a hand? :D

Foreverunstopable

Great write-up, I have two questions.

1. If this was a direct swap, sprag to air-shift, what is the model number of the air-shift case that went in and the transfer case that went out?

2. It looked like there were no modifications to the mounts or drive shafts, what its the rotation of the front output in forward? I remember reading somewhere that the 2.5 ton front may have a different rotation than standard equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks