• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identifying early deuce - M47 dump?

joshjourdan

Good morning, folks! I took a look at this truck the other day and didnt know what to think of it. It was my understand that this truck should have had frontload axles and rounder hood sheetmetal, yet it looks like a later deuce. It is singled out and everything lines up. So, is this the wrong datatag or is it butchered beyound help? I really dont have a lot of money for a resto job right now, but I could use a dump and it only needs a brake master, hydraulic line for dump, and waterpump before being ready to work. 900 bucks and the guy will let me work on it on his property.

Opinions? Has this truck been too hacked to try to keep original?

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

Last edited:

joshjourdan

Thanks for the reply. The truck does have some rust through at the base of the cab in a few places, but Ive worked with much less. Obviously I will need a cab top, but most of the major parts seem to be there. I had been under the impression that the hood of the 1951 Reo was rounded and they had frontloader axles. These axles loom just like those from my 5tons, only much smaller. Thanks for the correction. I kind of figured this truck wasnt that common and the gas motor purrs at idle with good oil pressure, so thats a big plus for me.

The owner stated he drove it home and it braked without a problem, but then later the master cylinder started leaking. He appafently had it overhauled but never got around to replacing it. I did notice the air compressor belt had grenaded, so Ill need one of those to drive home. Anyone know of a way to get napa to cross reference? Like a more common vehicle with this motor? I got multifuel parts fron napa a lot, but Im not quite used to this gasser stuff.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Your probably thinking of the GMC series deuces of the same era (they had front loaders with the rounded sheet metal). The ord number for the compressor belt is 7539352, I am not sure of a civi counterpart. I've got one for a gasser around, I will look and see if it has a number on it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a super rare truck. I've seen about a dozen M59's (the dual wheeled version), that's the first M47 survivor I've ever heard of.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a super cool truck and I'd buy it in a second. I've only seen a few of the M47s. I've owned 2 of the dual wheel version M59. One gave it's life so the other could live. It now rests comfortably with hndrsonj.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks