• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Identifying This Part

cmroles

Can somebody please lend a hand in identifying this part? It is a plate of some kind on the firewall behind the air cleaner. Mine appears to have a couple of heavy-gauge electrical cables coming out from behind it that have been cut off.

I'm just starting to track down all the electrical gremlins and I'm hoping this isn't evidence of somebody's attempt at electrical work....:shock:

Attachments

dstang97

Resistor. If your looking at the motor like the picture. take the right side wire and lengthen it to the front battery +

cmroles

So this is part of the resistor system that drops the 24V electrical down to 12V? Other than some apparent grounding issues, the interior electrical all seems to work normally. If these wires have been cut wouldn't the internal electrical be dead?

Sorry if these questions are basic....I'm new to the MV scene. Drove plenty of these in the Service, but never had the hood open!

cmroles

Thank you for the info. Since the truck starts and drives normally its safe to assume that the 12V was supplied to the GP relay through another electrical path?

If this was getting a full 24V somehow then I assume the relay would pretty much blow immediately and prevent starting.

cmroles

On a slightly different subject I have a question about the Gen 2 light on the dash.

The Gen2 light comes on with the ignition and then stays on after starting. It will remain on until the 1st time I give it some throttle. Once I touch the throttle it goes out and stays out. The voltmeter reads in the green with the engine running.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this is part of the resistor system that drops the 24V electrical down to 12V? Other than some apparent grounding issues, the interior electrical all seems to work normally. If these wires have been cut wouldn't the internal electrical be dead?

Sorry if these questions are basic....I'm new to the MV scene. Drove plenty of these in the Service, but never had the hood open!

On a stock truck, the only portion of the truck that is 24v is the starter, glow plug system and voltmeter on the dash.

The "resistor" on on the firewall drops the 24v down to 12v when the glowplugs are engaged. The plugs themself are 12v. All of this has been covered many times.

From your picture it looks like the resitor has been bypassed and the glow plug system is now hooked to the 12v terminal block. Follow the larger red wire at the top of the glowplug relay and see if it is connected to the 12v Terminal block. These items are circled in red.

Make sure you download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

Attachments