• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help. im new to this

built2drag

Hey guys. im new to the forum. i hope im posting this question in the right area. anyways, ive have always wanted a deuce. i live in so cal and there is a guy in the lucerne valley that has abunch of them for sale. my dad and i have been thinkin bout gettin one but arent sure what u have to have to own one. i have a few questions. do you have to have a cdl to drive one on the streets. how do you register it with the dmv and how do you insure it? any help would be great thanks:driver:

jmh4x4

welcome to the site, there is a ton of info here. I suggest using the search function and looking up the things you have questions on, these things have been discussed in great detail, to much to rehash here. Best thing to do is to browse through the past posts in the duece section.

In short: no CDL, insurance depends on what you want to use it for.

Good luck in your search

glcaines

First, welcome to Steel Soldiers. Some good guys and great advice on this site.

The rules are different in different states, but in most states you do NOT need a CDL. Due to the low weight of the truck and lack of air brakes, most states allow you to drive a Deuce with a Class C license. I would recommend soliciting advice from other California drivers to make sure California doesn't have any different regulations. You can also do a search on the site and look for different threads that address the question. You should know that you must be a U.S. citizen to own a Deuce.

You can also buy Deuces directly from the government. Click on the Government Liquidation ad in the upper left corner of the page to access GL.

KsM715

Is it this guy? www.100dollarman.com

He's a member here on SteelSoldiers, and from what I hear has a pretty good reputation. I bet of you go down and just talk to him about what it takes to own and insure it he'll lay it out for you.

Edit: on case you didnt know, his username here is 100dollarman

Capt.Marion

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

All of the three above mentioned that the laws vary by state. They do. If I'm not mistaken you need something more than your standard drivers license to drive a deuce and a half in California. I believe this stems from the extra axle as compared to a 4x4 pickup truck...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No CDL unless you are gonna use it comercially...but soon enough, emission laws will kill that! You should have at least a non comercial B. Registration, depends on what year it is. If it is old enough, register it historic. Insurance, check with your insurance carrier to see what he/she has to say about it, opinons vary fron carrier to carrier and agent to agent. Some know more than others. Go talk with Mark, aka Hundy, he is a straight shooter and will give good advice and help out as much as he can.

OHH another So Cal guy!! Pay attention, there is gonna be another dez outing out your way in a few months!!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcoming-events/46245-so-cal-camp-dirtbag-spring-run.html

built2drag

right on. yeah just lemme know when it is. i'd be down. yeah i know where the 100dollarmans place is. ive been wanting to take a trip out there and see if i could take one for a spin. those deuces are just so kicka**. i drive class 8 freightliners around at work. but im sure a deuce is way cooler. :driver:

Bighurt

In California a Class C license only covers a vehicle with 3 axles up to 10K. How do you get around this with a duece?

100dollarman

Thanks for the referrals, guys!

Built- you are welcome to come to the yard anytime and take a look, or drive a deuce if you so desire.

I dont know whats going on, but I have sold 6 trucks in the last week!

BTW- I do not know of any 2.5ton available around here from auction.

My yard is looking kinda bare-- usually I keep around 20 trucks, but we have been B U S Y !

I have 2 AF deuces coming in this week that I havent seen yet, and about 7-8 left in the yard right now. I will be "bobbing" as many trucks as I have time to do. Unless they sell as they are first. So get them while you can!

I am not 100% sure, but I think in Ca. you are supposed to have a class B license because of the 3rd axle-- but dont quote me on rules (I seem to always be breaking alot of them!)

I titled and registered 2 trucks this week--- Historical plates- $151 in fees. No weight cert. No commercial weight fees. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks