• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP M1008 won't turn off

mattm257

My m1008 runs alright, I think it needs a IP rebuild, has a miss and starts with lots of cranking and glow plugs when warm after sitting for more then 40 minutes. However today it would not turn off. The fuel -shut solenoid pink wire has power with key on and no power with key off. I would assume this is stuck in the open position becuase it is clearly not working properly as when the key is off truck keeps running strong. Pinched the fuel return line as TM said to turn off.

Anyone have the part # for the fuel shut off solenoid?
Any ideas?
thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My m1008 runs alright, I think it needs a IP rebuild, has a miss and starts with lots of cranking and glow plugs when warm after sitting for more then 40 minutes. However today it would not turn off. The fuel -shut solenoid pink wire has power with key on and no power with key off. I would assume this is stuck in the open position becuase it is clearly not working properly as when the key is off truck keeps running strong. Pinched the fuel return line as TM said to turn off.

Anyone have the part # for the fuel shut off solenoid?
Any ideas?
thanks
Yes it sounds like it is stuck.

All the part numbers are in the TM 9-2320-289-34p and TM-2320-289-20p. I am not at where I can look it up. Any Stanadyne repair shop should be able to get you one. It is 12v.

Also per the manual, check the ground wire above the parking brake. If it isn't making a good contact it can cause the IP to not shut off.

mattm257

took cover and solenoid out of IP, can see some metal filings clinging to the solenoid any thoughts on the filings?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like its time to rebuild the pump. Good chance the filings are from the rotor vanes in the pump.

There are a some guys on eBay that will rebuild the pump for ~$275 plus core. There has been a bunch of posts about it. I myself have not used them but other have and had great service.

Any repituble IP shop will be able to do the job. I had a simluar DB2 pump from a MEP-005A 30K Genset rebuilt at a local shop for $475. That included a bunch of damaged internal parts (caused by water in the fuel and sitting for years).

mattm257

Outcome

In case anyone is following this with similiar issues, I removed the shut-off solenoid from the IP and it was gunked up with metal filings and sticking. I disassembled and removed the plunger, cleaned, soaked, blew out and re-assembled. truck now shuts off like it should. Just be careful of the little insulator washers on the cover bolts it grounds the solenoid through the bolts to the IP therefore when reassembled the 1st time without one of the washers it cooked one of my fusible links on the firewall which was the ignition circuit. replaced the link, made a insulation washer from some rubber tubing and back in business.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks