• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Me understand

APM215

I figured I would do this right rather then hijacking someones thread.

Help me understand how the Bridge Plate works what do the numbers 0-9 mean?
What Do the Letters mean?
Do I put one on a Trailer too or Is one on the truck enough?

Help me Pleases!

I stole this pic from a thread on the topic hope no one minds.

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

you have just the plate on the truck, when you have a trailer in tow, you show the C on the top plate.
The numbers are the "class" of bridge (weight capacity) that is required for the vehicle to be able to safely cross.
I forget which, but one of the Tech Manuals explains the use of the bridge plate.

DanMartin

I always was told the numbers rounded up to the nearest ton of weight. An unloaded deuce (aprox 13K lbs) would show a "7". Loaded completely (approx 23K hwy) would show a "12", etc. Weight is combined (C) if a trailer is towed, hence the "C" addition.

Someone please confirm this for me....it is what I have been told but I cannot point to documents to verify it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there is a good explanation in the 10 or maybe one of the operator level 20 manuals. Give that a look see.

jasonjc

for the deuce look at page 1-16 of the 9-2320-361-10 list the class numbers for the deuce's. FM 5-36 has more info.

CliffW

Re: RE: Help Me understand

jasonjc said:
for the deuce look at page 1-16 of the 9-2320-361-10 list the class numbers for the deuce's. FM 5-36 has more info.
:ditto: this will help you understand how it works.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Help Me understand

It would have been okay to hijack my thread. I just want the bridge plate so I can 69 on the front of the truck.

I've heard that's on most trucks. ;-)

dm22630

Re: RE: Re: RE: Help Me understand

swbradley1 said:
It would have been okay to hijack my thread. I just want the bridge plate so I can 69 on the front of the truck.

I've heard that's on most trucks. ;-)

If your lucky....its on the grill & in the back ;)

Jones

When you're towing a trailer or another vehicle display the "C"; it stands for "Combined"-- the total of the two pieces. Otherwise the blank side should be displayed.
The weight should be shown as a digit or digits denoting the gross weight (empty or loaded) in 1,000's of pounds. i.e. 13 would be 13,000 pounds.
Look over this bulletin; www.wood.army.mil/cellx/information folders/mil load class/mlc web document.html , it should be of use to you. Find your vehicle on the left of the chart then look across to the chart's MLC E/L column; it has the figures for your vehicle.

saddamsnightmare

July 5th, 2008.

On the Multifuel M35A's, the passenger door was stencilled with an 8 in a circle for the bridge weight, the front bridge plates would be 06 for gas deuce empty, 07 for Diesel deuces empty, add 3 for off road load, 5 for on road load, plus "4" for M105A2 loaded trailer, which means:

Gas Deuce 06 +trailer = C08
"do" loaded off road 09+ trailer (04)= C11
"do" load Hwy 12 + trailer 4 = C16

Diesel Deuce 07 +trailer = C10
Diesel Duece off road load 10 + trailer + C14
Diesel Deuce Loaded 12 + trailer +C16

David Doyle's magnum opus "Catalog of Standard Military Vehicles", in Appendix "A" or "B" explains the uses of the bridge plates and the numeral designations used. The U.S.Army considered that the rolling deuce had a lesser bridge weight rating then you would suspect, due to the axle spacings and dynamic loads... BUT it is safe to say that I would not cross a 4 or 5 ton rated bridge with any deuce, loaded or not.....
The M105A2 trailer carries only a stencilled "4" in a circle on the front right side panel, establishing it's loaded bridge rating at 8,000 lbs (2,750 trailer weight + 3000 off road = 6000 lbs, on road 8,000 lbs (2,750 + 5,250 cargo). Other combinations would weigh accordingly, and I have seem military M35's in movement with no numbers or insignia on the bridge plates wheen running empty stateside.

All Hail David Doyle, the Great and Powerful Wizard of the military vehicle collectors fraternity.... I can't wait until he gets out the work on the G742 series (M-35 trucks).....

With great respect and regards,

Most Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks