• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP MY M1009 CUCV WON'T START

iamspencer

hey

i was wonderign if anyone could help me, my m1009 won't start (orturn over), the oil light is on, the one over the gen warning lights, and when i turn the key to start it goes off but the water temp light comes on, under the spedometer, and nothing else happens

what should i do

please help

:cool:

Armada

So it sounds like your starter will not engage but everything lights up. First check cable connections and clean if needed, especially the grounds. Before you go replacing the starter, my guess would be that the starter relay under the dash has failed. Common problem. Being a relay, they will fail in one of two ways. Either not make contact, which yours is doing, or the contacts are stuck on, which will cause the engine to crank even without the key. Use a volt meter to determine if you are getting power through it when the key is turned to start.
The pic shows what it looks like. It is located behind the dash, at the bottom and center, inline with some smaller black Bosch relays.
Napa p/n AR135
Autozone p/n AC40
Carquest p/n RY117
Front Line Military has the OEM relay.

Attachments

gt1009

hey is this it, also i am wondering if it had any thing to do with like a safty because of the oil light/ water temp light deal but i don't know
I don't think so. My oil light comes on when the key is in run without the engine running, like it should. The temperature light also comes on until the engine is started. I think it's ok.

Armada

Interesting. That's where it should be, but somebody has done a little modifying. That looks like a glow plug relay, which if that was what they had wired in for the starter, could have gone bad. Test it to see if it works. Myself, I would put the correct relay back in. The one you have in there now has exposed posts, etc.

mangus580

Relay on the left (like the glow plug one) is it. They commonly get upgraded to a larger relay, as the smaller one is known to weld the contacts together frying your batteries, starter, and wiring. I would keep the modification, Like Armada says, check to see if its working. Basic theory is this. You have 2 small terminals, one will go to ground, one gets 12+ from the Ignition when you turn the key to start. The 2 large terminals are 24v. One comes from the battery, one goes out to the starter.

Hope this helps...

iamspencer

mangus580 said:
Relay on the left (like the glow plug one) is it. The 2 large terminals are 24v. One comes from the battery, one goes out to the starter.
hey

i have a 12v starter/system(i was told but not possitive) and i checked the volts on the large studs with key at run and i got 12v so i don't know if this means it works?

iamspencer

mmm i tested it by putting the negative lead on the right big peg and the possitive on the left,

is that totally wrong,

thanks for all your help on this

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks