• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help on Alternative Fuels

markpeltier

Hi My brother and I bought the processing machine for filtering the veggie oil. My question is, can I run it in my duece if the multifuel is bypassed? If so, can I mix with diesel, and since I currently dont heat my tank, should I not even attempt? Help please

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bypassing the fuel "density" compensator is actually an advantage when running on biodiesel/veggie oil/diesel blends. The FDC reduces the fuel delivery for more viscous fuels (=higher BTU value), but veggie oil has a lower BTU value than the fuels specified for the engine, so it works against it.
Without heating the fuel tank, mix no more than 20% veggie oil with the petro-diesel when ambient temp is room temperature or above, much less in the winter time. You will experience slightly harder starts and increase the chance of coking the injectors.

NOTE: The fuel density compensator does not make the engine a "multifuel" engine, it's the combustion process, which is a slower burn process that makes it a multifuel engine.
The multifuel engine has much less "knock" at low load conditions than a conventional diesel as a result. This is the part of the engine that is built on licence from MAN in Germany, btw.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark,
Why don't you go ahead and convert it to multifuel? That will open up a whole new list of fuels to you.

rizzo

Ken:
NOTE: The fuel density compensator does not make the engine a "multifuel" engine, it's the combustion process, which is a slower burn process that makes it a multifuel engine.
The multifuel engine has much less "knock" at low load conditions than a conventional diesel as a result. This is the part of the engine that is built on licence from MAN in Germany, btw.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rizzo,
Running used motor and the like would probally send the EGT's way too high with out the FDC cutting the rate. And foul the injectors. But you could always adjust the rate manually each time you put fuel in it if you choose to keep it bypassed. I get used oil for free. But it's not always the same. So i don't have to worry about precision when mixing fuels with the FDC working.

rizzo

ken said:
Rizzo,
Running used motor and the like would probally send the EGT's way too high with out the FDC cutting the rate. And foul the injectors. But you could always adjust the rate manually each time you put fuel in it if you choose to keep it bypassed. I get used oil for free. But it's not always the same. So i don't have to worry about precision when mixing fuels with the FDC working.
I understand what your saying. Thanks for clearing that up. I am learning alot every day I'm on here. thanks to everyone else also.

Westech

CPL
I have run just about everything in my deuce. motor oil new and used, trany fluid, gas, diesel, white gas, veggie oil, E-85 gas, bio diesel, paint thinner (yeah lol), all you have to do is take it ez and watch your pyro. keep it 1100 or under. no problems! but if you go a tad too thin on the mix its a pain to start sometimes, takes a bit of cranking to get her warmed up to fire. :nothingfunny:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks