• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help on buying first m35a2c

ctmustang

hey yaw,
new to the ss site looking to buy my first duece in the next 2 weeks:-D
one im looking at is an 1983 amgeneral m35a2c anything to watch out for?
is there anything that tends to go wrong on a regular basis with these trucks?
before i possibly set off for home in this truck which would be about 120miles
what are the main items to check out. i work in auto garage but am new to these trucks. any items i need to carry with me for the trip home?
thanks for help&answers
c.t.

grounded

Banned
check the TMs and start reading alot of info is in there already..

120 miles. thats a small stretch for it. :) if shes serviced and running ok she will make it without a issue

and welcome to the site. and soon to be the addiction ;)

Numbers

Lots of useful info in the resources section of the forum, lots of the main items are covered in the PS magazine articles. Enjoy the site and welcome aboard.

Tow if possible.

jimm1009

M35A2C trucks

It seems that the drop side trucks have a problem with rust under the sides of the beds.
More than one that I looked at had rust or rust repairs in the corners.
I assume that the moisture gets trapped under the sides and does not get a chance to dry out due to long term sitting as most state side vehicles tend to do (or used to do). Of course any dirt collectin there would help trap moisture too. A good area to clean often after you have it in your driveway.
The truck that I ended up keeping has repairs that are now rusted out but only on the sides and not the actual bed.
It's nothing that can't be repaired or controled after repair but just something different over the non drop side trucks.
Cabs are the same for all of them. The rocker panels can rust out so you want to stick your head under the forward end of the cab on each side near the front tire and look with a flashlight down the inside of the cab / rocker panel areas.
Look at the outside windshield frames too for rust. Also look at the area below the windshield where the forwarded facing sheetmetal meets the horiziontal sheetmetal to the rear of the hood.
Four trucks had rust problems there of which one was rusted through.
My truck rusted throught tghere to so they added a 1/8 thick patch the whole width of the truck.
It was a good repair but would look really nsasty if these things were painted with gloss paint like the civy cars and trucks.
One other area is the rear shackles where they go through the spirng pads.
This seems to be an area that traps mud and then moisture that stays and is sealed in by the mud.
The U-bolts are very important and there have been a couple of other threads on them recently. U-bolts are easy to change but you sure don't want one breaking on the road!!!!!!!!
Jim

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The fuel gauge may not be very accurate. Good idea to check tank with a stick or carry some extra fuel. Expect 5-7mpg. Tires may look fine but will probably need air if truck was poorly maintained or has been sitting a long time. Run max air in front tires if you have a winch as they are near their load limit. Brake fluid is DOT5 and usually low. Access for the reservoir is under a cover on floor behind foot pedals. Make sure wheel nuts are tight. I'd suggest checking wheel bearing nuts if the last owner was a shady tree light mechanic type and ther is any chance he touched them. Old headlights may have short life and get shaken a lot at idle . You may want to bring a spare if traveling at night. They are 24V and there are two different wire end(s) connectors. Turbos need a few minutes to cool B4 shutdown.. W-Wipers suck. Bring some Rain-X if looks like wet weather. Put some on side glass and mirriors too. NDT tires really suck in rain/snow. Ear plugs are nice. Have fun. Bring your camera so you can illustrate story for grandkids.

Last edited:

jimm1009

your M35A2C

Pictures are REQUIRED so beware of others lurking here waiting to pounce!
Save yourself by posting pics as soon as practicle.

Good luck and welcome fellow MVer brother.

Think O.D. Green!!!

Heavysteven

I am in looking for my first duece as well. I would reccomend you decide on what opitions you want (hard top...Winch). After I met a dealer while previewing a truck I decided I had to have a winch. It's safe to say 99% of owners reccomend air shift to activate the front axle. Don't forget to price insurance and you have a place to park. Good Luck. I can't wait to drive mine around "town center mall"

C

cmvpa

Welcome aboard Charles. Should be able to find a good deal here on SS. Alot of members have been apart of this site since it was created by Chris. Rob