• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help w/ my '84 m1028

Wood

Hey Guys,

I picked up my first MV, an '84 m1028 a few months ago, and it's been a pretty solid truck. The belts were starting to show wear, so I had my mechanic replace them while I had the truck in for him to check everything over before the winter. I work close to 70 hours a week, so I can't always work on my own trucks, but I've trusted this guy for years with prior vehicles. When I got the truck back, it developed a wicked screeching noise at idle, seems to be coming from the drivers side alternator, but the Gen2 light is intermittently on and off...mostly off. I don't know if it's related or not, but I can hear the power steering straining even in the slightest of turns. The belts seem tight, but I'm no mechanic...i've read the stickies on here, but won't be able to check anything out until this weekend. Obvious issues point to the belts, since the truck ran fine prior to that, guess i'm hoping someone here had a similar issue

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if he didn't use belts with a different pitch. Did you provide the numbers for him? Do they seat well in the pulleys? The faint view of red at the alt 2 light at idle seems to be normal as long as it goes out when the RPM increase. My M1010 will squeal the heck out of the belts if I run the batteries low.

roveroverme

Banned
there is a 'belt conditioner' spray you can buy. I think it lubricates the rubber and makes it sticky at the same time (??? not sure)
I'd give that a try. Have a look also if the PS fluid is at the right level.