• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with Bumper/Unit Markings

SlantSixM37

I would like help to put together the correct bumper numbers for the unit my father served in during WWII. When he entered service in Sept. 1941 the unit was the Ordnance Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 405th Quartermaster Battalion. It was later reorganized and re-designated as the 780th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company, an element of the 80th Infantry Division in 1942. I know the 80th Infantry was part of the 3rd Army when they were in Europe. I want to add the correct bumper numbers to my restoration as a tribute to my father during his time in the 780th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers. Here is my crack at it, don't start cutting stencils until we have a consensus.
(This is for the re-org)
Left side: 80ID 780 OM
Right Side: TRK 23

The "TRK 23" is the fictional 23rd truck assigned to the 780th.

Last edited:

nattieleather

Hereis my best guess based on the information you provided. As looking at thevehicle your left hand side 3A 80I and on the right hand side 780MT-X (X can beany number you want as that is the vehicles position in the convoy so you canhave 1 or 11 or 25 etc. Maybe use your dad’s year of birth i.e. 20 for 1920etc.) Here is a website that will help confirm what I came up with. http://www.lonesentry.com/panzer/jeep-markings.html

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Left 80-780-O right MT- whatever # you choose. Most WWII units that were under a division didn't show the Army they were attached to on bumpers. It was mainly show on units attached to the Army and not a division. Also the I for Infantry was used at the battalion/regiment level usually not at Division80tha.jpg 80th.jpg couple 80th jeeps

Last edited:

SlantSixM37

Great! Thank you to all of you. I think I am pretty set now. I really like the idea of using his date of birth as the convoy position number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks