• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with identifying trailer cover on M101

70deuce

Anybody know what this vinyl cover might have been designed for?? I have an M101 with racks that had no cover. I obtained a bunch of vinyl tarps and vehicle covers from GL some time back and this one was one of the items in he lot. It fits the M101 perfectly except the bow uprights are about 10 inches longer than the stock M101 uprights. I had a set of M105 bows that I cut down the bows to proper length, used the bow corners with my new uprights. The cutout for the fender lines up correctly and this cover has tie down ropes every 5 or 6 inches on the sides. Height is higher but it doesn't look too bad. Also, can anyone tell me what unit this is?? Thanks

Attachments

123mack

Looks like 1st batallion 506th infantry regiment. Hq probably means headquarters company. 8T probably trailer #8. 506th inf belongs to the 101st Airborne division. If you Google 506 infantry, there are some good articles on its history. If it were mine, and knowing their recent history, I'd preserve the markings. No telling where it's been.

Nick

Nice trailer and cover. What year is the trailer? I ask as I'm trying to figure out the parking brake handles. Mine has the same, its a 52, and I need the drivers side handle. Just tryin to figure out when they used that style and when they changed them

By the way, is that a Power Wagon fender and headlight peekin in the right side of the first picture??

Nick

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes on the M116/Genset cover. There are folks on the site looking for those if you're selling.

70deuce

Nick, its a 1961 Twin Coach M101. Isn't that style of brake handle on some older deuces?? And yes its a 1951 M37 my wife found 3 miles from the house at a barn sale. It had a spun bearing but otherwise a complete rust free truck with the CCKW type hardtop (oval window). Even a Toole rebuilt transfer case in the bed. in its container. Machine work done on motor starting to put it all back togetther.

Phil

Nick

Nick, its a 1961 Twin Coach M101. Isn't that style of brake handle on some older deuces?? And yes its a 1951 M37 my wife found 3 miles from the house at a barn sale. It had a spun bearing but otherwise a complete rust free truck with the CCKW type hardtop (oval window). Even a Toole rebuilt transfer case in the bed. in its container. Machine work done on motor starting to put it all back togetther.

Phil

Nice. I have a 48 B-1 Power Wagon. Wish i found mine that close and with that little wrong with it. Its frame, axles and motor right now on jack stands.

I wasnt aware of what else the handles are used on. Im not that up on all the military stuff. Maybe i should add that description into my search for the elusive handle. Ive had a few leads, but no one has got back to me. I didnt think the M101s went that late with those handles. Ive seen early 50's with the different handles.

Cool, thanks for the info. Good luck with it. I used mine a few weeks ago as a camping trailer with the tarp. Worked out real nice. Pretty dark in there with the rubberized tarp on it.

Nick

Last edited:

70deuce

123mack, after doing a search as you suggested I will be definitely keeping those markings on the trailer. Very decorated unit as far back as D Day and Battle of the Bulge to name a few. Most likely mark the M37 with the same markings when I get to that point. Looks like the 506th was at Ft Jackson, SC when this trailer was used. To 319 yeh there are too many tie downs on that cover and will probably use the rubber cord tie down method used on the modern truck covers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks