• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with M35A3 ANG stenciling

jpinst

Hi,

I have an M35A3 and I am repainting it next month. Its originally from the North Carolina Air National Guard, but I will repaint it as the California Air National Guard (CAARNG) since I am in California.

Please see the attached pics. I dont really know what DS-112 means, but I would like to replace it with the correct California equivalent. Because I want to paint it as a Combat Communications unit, perhaps one of you can help me. From the information I gathered below, I believe that I would want 162 CCG for the front bumper and rear left. Then maybe 261 CBCS for the right. Does that sound correct? The 261 combat communications squadron is under the 162 Combat Communication group.

Let me know if you have any experience with this. I myself am a Navy Reservist and am totally confused with it all.

thank you in advance

---------
The 162nd Combat Communications Group (CCG), headquartered at North Highlands Air National Guard Station (ANGS) in Sacramento, California, USA, is one of eight Air National Guard Combat Communications Groups nationwide, which make up 80% of the U.S. Air Force tactical communications capability. The 162nd CCG is one of five major organizations that make up the California Air National Guard.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Units
* 2 Mission
* 3 History
* 4 Previous designations
* 5 Bases stationed
* 6 Equipment operated
* 7 References

[edit] Units

* 147th Combat Communications Squadron in San Diego, California
* 148th Space Operations Squadron at Vandenberg Air Force Base (AFB), California
* 149th Combat Communications Squadron at North Highlands ANGS, California
* 216th Engineering Installation Squadron at Hayward ANGS, California
* 222d Combat Communications Squadron in Costa Mesa, California
* 234th Intelligence Squadron at Beale AFB, California
* 261st Combat Communications Squadron in Van Nuys, California

162d Combat Communications Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

wsucougarx

Here's a reference on the bumper markings.

U.S. MILITARY VEHICLES: MARKINGS

If you're going to change the markings why would you want CA ARNG? Make it a Navy marked truck. Seabees unit? Your reserve unit? US Navy SEaL's support unit? Just my 0.02. The USN had the M35A3's as well.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
First off if you use CAARNG then that;s the Army Guard not Air Guard. You want

CA ANG leave the R out.

You vehicle did belong to the 691st Maintenance Company Direct Support. The DS 211 is for Direct Support then the vehicle number. Those would not be the same for an air guard truck.

Best thing is to talk to the unit and/or go there and see what they have.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Somewhat unclear about the original question?

The bumper shown in the photos is for the NC Army National Guard not Air Guard. If it's ANG that air national guard. If it's ARNG then that's army national guard.

691st is an ordnance company that specializes in maintenance support. The DS is for direct support meaning they are normally tasked to support a specific unit for providing higher level maintenance support. The army use to have 4 levels of maintenance but is now reorganizing into 2 levels.

That's why I was scratching my head from the start saying why would a Navy guy be wanting to put ANG bumper numbers on an ARNG deuce. Anyone that looked at the registration number would know it was originally Army. Then again, in the guard, the ANG can eventually end up with Army vehicles and vice versa. Not real often but it happens.

jpinst

Got it. Thanks for the info. perhaps i could go to the local guard motor pool and snap some pics. The CA guard still has a ton of M35 and even the A2's.

On some web site I saw CA Army national Cuard referred to with the acronym CNG. That can't be right....I think I will make it into a CA guard maintenance unit. I want to pain the HMMWV as coming from the same branch so as to make a pair. Most movies want them painted as army anyway....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks