• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with new M37

Cannoneer

Well I finally picked up my "new" M37 and found out that there was aluminum in the trans oil. Long story short, the synchronizer assembly broke up and got into everything, PTO included. I have looked everywhere and cannot find one for the old style New Process 4 speed. The date on the case is 02/11/1954. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WarrenD

Are you looking for a tranny or just parts?
Try calling Bob Stahl (MA) he may have both. Phone only, no net.
Five-oh-eight-384-seven-six-98

Cav Trooper

When I bought my M37 about a year and half ago. I had the tranny go out after about 60 miles. The PO chipped in and paid for another tranny. The synchro was demolished on mine when I tore it down to see about a rebuild. I jumped the gun and found an old style one out in WA., shipping was a bunch. I got lucky, I tore it down and put new gaskets and seals in and the synchro was still in good shape. I should have looked to the newer style. To the point, I looked high and low for another synchro assemble and none are available for the old style. The synchros are available along the all the other parts for the new style which bolts right up and nothing has to be changed as it's a direct replacement. I have thought about having a set of synchros machined since I have one half of the old one to copy that didn't get destroyed. I also thought about having several sets made for those who may need them, it's just not on my high priority list. It would be nice to find a blueprint to go from also.

GUNNY 155

Rapid Syncro failure can be traced to the wrong lubricant being used. Make sure you use a lube with a GL4 classification. Amsoil also has products made for transmissions that have non ferrous metals in them. If you use high pressure lubricants with a GL5 rating expect problems.

Cannoneer

Thanks for all of the help. Here are the results.........
Adirondack - no
VPW - no
Saturn Surplus - no
Memphis Equipment - no
Midwest Military - yes....NOS...Three...Hundred.....Dollars.......no kiss included.
Bob Shahl - yes - used.....$100 Bob seems like a great guy, very knowledgeable on the M37 transmission.
I have another trans to look at local so I'm going to go that route for now. Thanks for the help.

bartv

Since we're discussing synchros...My 52 M37 will not hit 2nd without double clutching and matching the engine revs to the trans, either up shifting or down. I just figured that 2nd was non-syncro too like first. Everything else works fine, no bad noises and no metal visible in the oil. Is that right or is my 2nd gear synchro toast?
On the GL4 vs GL5 debate, this is a hot topic on most old vehicle forums and I've never heard a definitive answer, mostly heated debate. So... what did the military recommend for their older vehicles when GL5 became the norm?

WarrenD

First and second are non-synchro, 3rd and 4th are.
Use GL-4 in the M37, data plate says straight 90 but 85-90 is fine (CRC makes 85-90 GL-4 in 1 gallon bottles.)

WarrenD

CRC is the company that makes the GL-4 85-90. NAPA usually has it in stock and if you search on line, you can find it in many places. CRC also makes brake cleaner and other automotive chemicals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks