• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with rear axle seals.

oldshep

The hubs on my duece were flipped about a year and a half ago. When I've started driving the truck recently, the inner side of the hub is ''weeping'' looks like ''melting grease'' . The hubs are not hot to the touch after driving. Any help would be welcomed.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you're missing some pieces parts there :wink: . Fortunatley, I have never had one leak, but it looks like the seal is leaking. They are easy to do. Just pull it apart and do it. Good thing though, looks like you won't have to contend with messy shoes. :)

JDToumanian

I don't recognize that axle at all... Is it a Rockwell? What are the modifications? Looks like disc brakes, too?

I do recognize the flipped hub though, and it's obvious that either your outer seal or the cork keyway seal has failed which has allowed gear oil to mix with the hub grease... Which is then leaking past the inner seal which is only designed to hold back grease, not the less viscous grease / oil mixture.

Looks like a bearing service and seal replacement is in your future... One thing to check - make sure that the face of the outer bearing race is smooth. The outer seal rides on this surface and if there is any kind of burr or ding from the installation of the race it will chew up the seal in short order.

Jon

Armada

2cents While you're at it, make sure your axle vents are working properly too. A plugged vent can cause lube to be forced through seals.

acetomatoco

Oil is just a buck a quart if it is not getting on the disc brakes..you just keep adding a quart a year and all is good... remember you modded axle may not be properly vented and that you do not fill to the hole cold... fill to one finger knuckle below hole...allow for expansion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks