• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with run flat tool

AOR

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a military run flat tool several years ago from a swap meet. I tried using it for the first time today. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the tool is broken. I have tried winding it in both directions and it does not build tension. I can push on it and it the strap comes loose. It is not compressing the run flat at all. I am trying to install the same rubber run flat that I removed today using an engine hoist back into the same wheel it came out of. I can see the gears are not stripped or slipping at all. The slipping is where the strap is connected into the metal inside that spins when rotating the handle. Hopefully it's operator error. I am not sure what I may be doing wrong of if possibly the strap is installed incorrectly to allow tension with the parts inside of the tool.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I purchased a military run flat tool several years ago from a swap meet. I tried using it for the first time today. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the tool is broken. I have tried winding it in both directions and it does not build tension. I can push on it and it the strap comes loose. It is not compressing the run flat at all. I am trying to install the same rubber run flat that I removed today using an engine hoist back into the same wheel it came out of. I can see the gears are not stripped or slipping at all. The slipping is where the strap is connected into the metal inside that spins when rotating the handle. Hopefully it's operator error. I am not sure what I may be doing wrong of if possibly the strap is installed incorrectly to allow tension with the parts inside of the tool.
Yeah, neat!
The rest of us use a ratchet strap mostly because we didn't know there was a "military runflat tool".

Sounds to me like something is in the "wrong slot" and so it is slipping.
Wish I had a better idea. Any sort of instructions in the box?

AOR

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, neat!
The rest of us use a ratchet strap mostly because we didn't know there was a "military runflat tool".

Sounds to me like something is in the "wrong slot" and so it is slipping.
Wish I had a better idea. Any sort of instructions in the box?
I tried a large ratchet strap and it broke the mechanism. I think it was rated for 10,000 lbs please post info on the type of ratchet strap you used. and how you position it not to damage the run flat or tire. No instructions it was used and I am not sure if I can read the part number. It is made by SPX

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have that tool and it’s the best one made…been using it for years, there is a roll pin meant to shear off, thats why it builds no tension.
Make sure to use grease on the worm gear once you fix it.
The roll pin is on the large gear shaft, the gear is spinning on the shaft, the bitch is getting it lined up to drive out the old pin.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks