• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help1 Need 6.2L starter bolts or dimensions..

Dabba

hey guys, im missing a starter bolt on my 6.2 and any of the parts around me dont have them, nor do the gm dealers have them. dont ask, i dont know why. my mechanic apparenlty didnt tighten it down and i dont want to try to shortcut with a "match up" i need these things yesterday, trucks been in the mall parkinglot for a week. if any can help me out it would be great

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I googled the part number listed in the -20P(about a year ago). I found bolts listed on Amazon.com(I think they were about $2)! I ordered 2, just to have spares! They looked correct with knurling and thread locker already applied. I'll be darned if I can find them now though!

Crash_AF

The bolts are still available from GM I bought two last week, just ask for starter bolts for a 6.2L. Don't replace the bolts with regular ones, they are special and normal bolts will snap off.

Part number on the AC Delco box in my hand is 15544950. This is on a box of 5 so I don't know if this is a part # for 5 or one, but there you go. They cost about $3 each from the dealer.

Later,
Joe

acesneights1

X2. I bought some not too long ago. IIRC the 6.5 TD uses he same ones and Auto parts do sell them, problem is idiots behind the counter don't know how to look them up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
15544950 is the correct part number.

The -20P TM, is a bunch of pictures of all the parts of the truck(could not be more simple to find what you need). Once you find the picture of what you need, simple look a few pages forward or backwards and find the corresponding part number(ie. the bolt wash displayed in figure 32 and identified as item 9). I simple looked one page away and there was the list with NSN and description of the part(in this case"close tolerance bolt" and part number 15544950.

Once armed with the part number and or NSN(National Stock Number, simply google them!

In this case, as I had said, Amazon.com had them about 1 year ago. I just typed amazon.com and then in the search box inserted the bolt number(found in the TM), and bam, here's a link....

Amazon.com: ACDelco 15544950 Starter Motor Bolt: Automotive

Now, I don't want to sound crabby here but, this is so simple, I think my 8 year old nephew could have done found this, with the info I gave you earlier.

fwiw, I searched the part number on SS and found these threads, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/search.php?searchid=640454

Also, a simple google search will score you pages of relevant threads from a few other web sites.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some. Can't ship until Tuesday though. Best bet is to order from GM dealer using the part number referenced above. The part number is for a single bolt but they only sell by the box of five. Get the washers also.

Dabba

Thanks guys, you're the best. I lucked out, Did a random good search and found someone on ebay who just put up a listing and included the part #. Its funny when i called Gm and said "I need a starter bolt for an 86 k30 with the 6.2L diesel" He was all upset and said he dosnt have it and its an old truck and blah blah blah. I mean, dont they have books/charts/computers to tell me the part #? Gotta be organized somehow. When i got the part # i called back and just read it off to see if he had it, he did... Geeze..

Guess it really is the idiots behind the counter. heh. Awesome. trucks running now!:-D

Wolf.Dose

I do not understand your problems, it is a standard M12 bolt of a lenght I forgot (something about 160 mm), a mass production part here in Europe, quality 8.8.
The 6.2 l Diesel is the first full metric engine ever designed in the US and you guys have to get used to the metric system which was officially introduced in the US in 1980. However, it seems, it still did not arrive in most people heads.

For us here in Europe, it is very clear, that, if you collect US-MV from WWII you can NOT use metric nuts and bolts for these vehicles.
So you have to learn that you can NOT use US nuts and bolts (UNC, UNF) on these engines.
I'm sorry to have to write it this hard way, but somehow somebody has to push you into this system.

Wolf from Germany

ralbelt

Wolf I'm pretty set in my ways and I'm too old to learn the metric system. At least I have learned to only open the metric drawer of my tool box when working on my CUCV.

southdave

Because the french invented it, remember the whole freedom fries thing or the Renault allainace. better yet when renault owned Mack trucks. now the swedes have it I think. I jest but never really caught on here I blame Cater. What confusing is building a bridge here, for instance all gradiants are in 100 th of foot the rebar is meteric and the structure is dim. are all 16th of an inch. 5 years ago everything was metric they had alot quality control issues so they went back to the old way.

Back to the bolts my dealer made me buy 5 of them at a time. 22 and some change. They have a speical knurl thing to prevent backing out similar to a head bolt don't forget the torgue spec. in the TM

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

It is not related to who founded the system, it is the base of the ISO system. And this is used almost anywhere in the world, not only all over Europe, also in most of the countrys of Africa, in China and Japan and South America. The US has a population of about 250 million people, the EU about 540 million, China about 1.2 billion, India about the same. They also changed from the british system to ISO.
Is the US not flexible enough to learn the system?
I do not want to start a basic discussion about measurement systems.

However, all customers I have in the US they all work in the metric and ISO systems. They had to learn it the hard way for it is the only way to compete on the world market.

The US Army these days also uses the metric system. It makes sence in the nowadays world. Look at the rear of the manuales, they contain conversion tables to make the soldiers fit for the metric system.
Mack is still owned by Renault. You mix it up with Volvo White/GM trucks. Renault is these days owned by Volvo, however, that makes no differance for Mack.
Frightliner is owned by Daimler, as well as Western Star, Tomas built busses, Sterling (dying soon) and Detroit Diesel-Allison.
The DD15 Detroit Diesel engine is a Daimler engine. Before the D50, D55, D60 engine series were also Daimler engines, based on the OM 457 engine series, of course all metric!
The 6.2 l Diesel as well as the 6.5 l Diesel used by GM is a Detroit Diesel engine with blocks and heads casted in Germany. These engines are full metric. The Avalange Diesel is a Isuzu Diesel and also metric.
Wolf

sparky1

I do not understand your problems, it is a standard M12 bolt of a lenght I forgot (something about 160 mm), a mass production part here in Europe, quality 8.8.
The 6.2 l Diesel is the first full metric engine ever designed in the US and you guys have to get used to the metric system which was officially introduced in the US in 1980. However, it seems, it still did not arrive in most people heads.

For us here in Europe, it is very clear, that, if you collect US-MV from WWII you can NOT use metric nuts and bolts for these vehicles.
So you have to learn that you can NOT use US nuts and bolts (UNC, UNF) on these engines.
I'm sorry to have to write it this hard way, but somehow somebody has to push you into this system.

Wolf from Germany
not fully metric
bell housing bolts 3/8-16
fan hub 5/16-18
oil drain plug 1/2-20
block drains 1/4-18 pipe
manifold studs(ends) 3/6-16

Dodgeman1941

NAPA should have them in stock, I bought a couple of sets {before I found out there was a bracket that was supposed to be on the front of the starter.} They won't be able to pull it up in the computer, it is something on the rack that you would need to match up.