• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT and MK48 LVS use the same cab?

paradeduty

Sorry, NO. They look very similar from 5 feet, but there are differences. There are a lot of parts that are shared, though. Biggest differences are: "Doghouse" is a bit different for different radiator location (bigger on LVS). Roof panel for gun mount is different. I think some of the dash is layed out different. I would not be at all surprised if some of the cab mounts including electrical and air interfaces are different. There are quite a few goofy little things that are different if you look close. The LVS has a "guard" over the headlights/turnsignals where the HEMTT does not. Small things like this might surprise you.

Dave

commandojeff

So I haven't really looked into the mk48 stuff much. But let me get this straight just so I know. An LVS is is used by Marines? And it articulates. The HEMTTs don't articulate correct?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
So I haven't really looked into the mk48 stuff much. But let me get this straight just so I know. An LVS is is used by Marines? And it articulates. The HEMTTs don't articulate correct?
The "trailers" of the MK48's are interchangable and can be dropped. The FPU can be driven around by itself. That is not a job for the faint of heart without the "landing gear" attachment that keeps it from nosing over if you hit the brakes too hard.

If you have the pintle hitch attachment the trailers can be pulled around with a suitable sized vehicle that has air line attachments.

Myself and Ron got to know these beasts in and out when we reassembled and loaded out a bunch of them last summer.

The HEMMT's do not articulate and the beds are fixed. There were two cargo versions, one with a crane mounted on it and one without. There was a tanker version, a wrecker version and a version with a 5th wheel that was used to pull various semi type trailers.

commandojeff

Sweet, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks guys. I have seen the different versions and never really understood what I was looking at. Good to know the basics though. Those trucks are amazing. I thought my 923 was big... pfff.

M920

The cab mounts are very different to! The HEMMT has two smaller cab mounts, next to each other, right below the windshield, where the Mk48 has one large single mount, in the center, on a lower cross member that does not exist on the HEMTT cab.
The HEMTT also has TWO rear windows where the Mk48 only has a driver side one.

M920

Just figured out an other small difference between an LVS and a HEMTT cab. This sounds really goofy, but the headlights are about 2" farther apart on the LVS than they are on the HEMTT!!!! Now why would Oshkosh do that?!?!

Any suggestions anyone? "Wreckerman" maybe? ;)