• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dma251

So now that I've bought a HEMTT, I'm gonna have to insure it. I've been insuring my 5-ton through State Farm for pretty cheap as a collector rig, but I doubt that's gonna fly this time. Guess since I've stepped in size I'm gonna be stepping up big-time in insurance premiums.

I wish I could register this as a collector rig, since I doubt I'll ever carry any load in it, but I can't get away with that in Washington State. What's the best route for insuring this given the circumstances? - I will be putting less then 2500 miles a year on it, I won't be hauling anytime, I am not a commercial user.

Suggestions?

TheBuggyman

What prohibits you from continuing to insure your vehicles via the collector route? Surely not weight class as your five ton was well into CDL range.

The way I see it two classes of people have HEMTTs, military and collectors!

What does WA state have to say about it?

I have collector automobile insurance through MetLife (Condon and Skelly) who only requires six photos, a dollar amount and less than 2500 miles/year and then they review it for approval. I have comprehensive/collision on my M813 for about $125/year.

dma251

I have been referred to Condon and Skelly by a buddy that has his Abbot insured with them. Do you think they will insure something as relatively new as a 1986, though? I'll call them in the morning. I'm also gonna ask State Farm if they can insure under their Collector Policy. It's worth a try.

I've found that it is sometimes helpful that most of the insurance folks wouldn't know a 1986 OshKosh M977 from a 1970 Jeep-Willeys M813A1 if it were parked in front of them... By that I mean A HEMTT is basically a REALLY BIG pickup. The way I see it as long as I am not being deceptive, just not too descriptive and there aren't any lies on the policy it should hold up at least once...

TheBuggyman

Ahhh....1986.
21 years old I would suppose is old enough to insure this way.

Condon and Skelly will require you to be descriptive with your photos. (one from each side, the engine bay and the interior) Your local DMV won't be as curious, but I am curious, what does the title have it listed as? Just a HEMTT? Any model designation or colorful adjectives (i.e. Jeep, Kaiser etc...) to draw attention away from the true nature of the beast?

dma251

I know I should start a new thread - but since your here already - Any idea where I can get the hook/pulley that belongs on the crane on the back of this thing? I know there will be many other parts I need to find, but that's the first one that jumped out at me.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
TheBuggyman said:
Get in touch with BKubu, he has an awesome HEMTT and may be able to line you up with what you need. When I saw his truck I almost sold my house just to make him an offer!
I second that. His HEMTT was amazing to check out. You could probably set up a communications shelter in the back and live in it if you had to sell your house :lol:

OSO

Damon tell Brad to throw my hand maul in when the HEMTT stops in his yard .I'll stop by and check out your HEMTT, and pick up my hand maul . OSO [thumbzup]

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know Hagerty insures "specialty" vehicles of almost any age, so I would imagine the other companies would do so as well. I have an 86 Shelby GLHS insured through them, even though it does not yet qualify for historic plates in MD...

Oh, and congratulations! HEMTT's are very COOL! :drool:

dma251

Condon and Skelly sent me an email today saying that they would insure vehicles of unlimited type, provided they were older hen 25 years old. I've got a few years to go, it seems. I'll check with Hagerty, too.

Gamagoat1

You might try J.C. Taylor They specialize in collector vehicles also military,
I have all my stuff insured with them, they've been great.
1-800-345-8290
320 South 69th Street
Upper Darby, PA 19082

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
any contact info for the Condon and Skelly people. are they local or anywhere. i am wanting to insure my M816 soon thanks Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks