• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HET questions

jh1990

Anyone know what for motor and transmission is in the Heavy Equipment Transporter (HET)? Is there anyway to purchuse one? Could a replica of one be built? I'm just wondering, not planing a build.

jh1990

Ok so I guess that idea's thrown out the window. Next question, is it possiable to build a replica of one? Just wondering, not planning on building one, well no serious plans. :driver: Though that would be one fun build.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My last active duty assignment was in a truck company at Fort Stewart, GA.
We had three PLS platoons and a HETT Platoon.
I was a HETT driver but I got out before I got a lot of stick time. I then went into a Reserve HETT unit and put many miles on one. I was not impressed.
They do have the double breasted Detroit and Allison Tranny.
In my humble opinion they were designed by a team of idiots with a lot of input from several morons to keep Oshkosh in business supplying parts for the next 30 years.
The rear-steering trailer has 40 tires on 20 stubby axles. When these get old no two axles will track the same.
They are a nightmare to maintain and came with a huge supply of tools to work on the beast with.
Many states won't let them on the highway even with an overweight permit
I did like tha fact that they finally put a sleeper on it so the crew can rest during "hurry up and wait".
I heard the ones they sent to the desert are now air conditioned. Ours weren't.
For what that abortion cost the government you could have bought two commercial rigs and militerized them.
I have been in the Army or a commercial truck drive most of my adult life so I know my trucks and trucking in general.
The new HETT was a classic example of a boondoggle. They should have aske the guys that drive trucks to design one insted of letting a lot of retired transportation officers fall into bed with a contractor.
I expressed this opinion to an Oshkosh rep that was at our unit conducting training and pissed him off. I really pissed him off when I contacted Freightliner and Fontain (the trailer manufacturer) and proved to him that I could put together a better rig for less money.
I don't think any new HETTs have hit the surplus market yet. Maybe a prototype or two. The old HETTS show up once and a while and I have seen some "727" trailers on GL.
Just my rambling thoughts.