• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hex Head Plugs

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drain and fill plugs in my 3053 tranny have 9/16" hex plugs. Why is that? My transfer case has plugs with 1/2" square openings.

Jones

Hex openings accept Allen wrenches and have pretty tight tolerances. The square holes accept ratchet wrenches and with them, there's a tendency to pull off-center and wallow out the hole.

stevegr

The Spicer tranny in my 71 M35A2 also has 9/16" hex plugs. However, the Rockwell transfer case in this same Deuce has 9/16" spare plugs, not 1/2". Bought a hex bit set from Harbor Freight today. Part # 93203, $12.99. Still looking for a 9/16" Pipe Plug Socket for the transfer case.

rlwm211

You can order a hex "socket" for 1/2 drive from any autoparts store and that along with a few other necessities are all required for Deuce maintanence. I borrowed one for the first time I checked my transmission and then went out and bought one so I would not need to do that the next time. Other things that you should have would include the 8 sided 3 inch socket for your wheel bearing nuts on your spindles, a good gear type torque multiplier for your lug nuts and inners and a 8 ton jack with blocking and a jack stand for working on your truck safely. I am sure the list is way longer and to be honest I know I have left more than a few things out but I am sure you get my drift here.

RL

Last edited:

Barrman

Yep, just get any 3/8" bolt and weld a nut on it. Or put a pair of nuts on it to jamb against each other. Then stick the head of the bolt in the plug and put a wrench on the nut to remove.

russ132

I just used a 3/8 bolt last week. It worked great, just make sure to use Grade 8 hardware. The cheap bolt and nuts that I started with just twisted right apart.

G-Force

In a pinch you can also make a tool with 3 nuts, a bolt, and a little love from a wire feed (not required).

Ok, lets see.........I got the 3/8" bolt......now....THREE NUTS.........Hmmmmm........
Hey Doghead, Papabear and Wreckerman.........can you guys come over to my house tonight???? rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks