• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi from Massachusetts

Falconan

Hello,

I came across this site as someone mentioned that CUCV (m1008) are good project trucks as everything is documented on them. I am interested in purchasing one to use regularly, but also to learn about auto mechanics and maintenance. What are your thoughts? A good place to start?

dependable

Welcome to site from another Mass resident. The cucvs are good, basic, non computer trucks. A reasonable project/daily driver. They have some electronic issues that you would not have to deal with in a similar civilian truck, but they can be bought in much better shape than most other trucks of their age. They will rust out pretty quickly around here if not oiled or coated with a chassis paint. The un insulated cabs and the diesel make for a louder ride than most are used to. Your smiley face hides which truck you are interested in, the m 1008.s are geared too low for regular highway use, but make a wonderful local work trucks.

LanceRobson

Welcome aboard.

If you go to the FORUM tab above and open the CUCV forum you will find a FAQ. After that you can run down some of the stuff on the GL (Government Liquidation) forum on the issues and concerns of buying direct. A little searching will find a bunch of threads regarding the advantages and disadvantages of buying direct or from a private owner.

You'll find hundreds of threads on dealing with CUVC issues. One of the advantages of a CUCV is that all but a very few parts are available though any parts outlet. Most mechanics are not baffled by them as they can be with most other MVs.

You might try a thread with a title like "CUCV purchase advice sought" and ask for references to pertinent threads.

Good Luck

Lance

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Falconan, Welcome and hello!

I think your idea is wonderful because you have us to see you through!!! This forum, the technical manuals and a basic, simple vehicle are a great formula for success!

I say go for it!

treessw

WELCOME!!!! You will find just about anything you need here and don't be afraid to ask!!! Takes some getting used to navigating but you'll find out your going to be on here....ALOT!!![thumbzup]

kastein

Welcome!

I'm in Worcester right now, but moving to Southbridge as soon as I finish rebuilding the house I bought, or as soon as I get a roof on it and it gets warm, either way.

Let me know if you need a hand turning wrenches, if I'm free I'll usually work for free or beer/pizza.