• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

high volume oil pump worth the $$$?

kapnklug

Ken_86gt

Probably not. I have not been following these trucks very long, but I have yet to hear about lubrication related failures. In most engines it is a waste of money. If you are going to be racing your truck at high RPMS there may be case to do this. Now if you are going to be replacing bearings and such you might want to replace your existing with a stock type unit while you are there for about $35.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't have much exp in 6.5 so I have to speak in general terms. A higher volume pump (than stock) on a healthy engine is not only a waste of $ but puts extra loads on the oil (creates higher oil temps) and the pump drive parts( usually the cam gear(s) and cam drive). There is also a HP loss due to moving oil around for nothing*. It may be useful on a worn engine to make up for loose bearings/low pressure, or special applications( 70 Old 455 W30 comes to mind). Perhaps even in your situation, I really couldn't say.

A high pressure pump can be useful. One example is high rpm engines. Increasing the max engine speed usually requires additional oil pressure. That's keep the mains/rods happy(the bearing acts like a pump). Pontiac used a 60psi pump on their high perf engines (with hardened driveshaft and usually with a special dist gear treatment). When they made the 74' Superduty 455 the factory increased the dist. gear diameter along w/special block with bigger hole for dist. All that effort to run 80psi on a few thousand engines ! (the block also had an unused provision for a dry sump system).

*the extra oil goes to the relief valve and just gets dumped back into the pan

Last edited: