• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Highway speed for M1009

BIG_RED

Continuous? or passing? Mine will cruise at 65 MPH. (according to my buddy's newer GMC's speedo driving beside me on the highway). It did that this morning for 15 minutes on the highway. It's loud. I don't have a tach, but it's up there for RPMs. It has 33" tires. (bigger tires = better for high speed) The speedo on most of these things say faster than you're actually going. I wouldn't go faster for any great amount of time. It CAN go 85 MPH. Then it's CRAZY LOUD. Would not recommend that. If you want to cruise at high speeds with it, check/replace harmonic damper. High RPM for long periods of time + bad damper = busted crankshaft or main bearing webs. Also, it's a 3 speed. It won't downshift to pass if you're going 60 MPH. If it does, ease off the pedal. It will rev to it's governed 3600 RPM - that's not good for it. I unhooked my downshift switch behind the pedal. If you want to do a lot of interstate driving, you will get passed a lot. But you'll get there. Bigger tires help. 4 speed tranny swap helps a lot. Good luck!

91W350

Speed versus RPM calculator

I like to use a calculator that uses loaded radius rather than tire diameter. If you figure 15 for the 31 10.50 and 2000 rpm on a 3.08 ratio, 58 mph, 2200 will get close to 65 and 2400 will get you close to 70. I run mine 65 all the time, but it would live a lot longer at 58 and 2000 rpm. Glen

armytruck63

I agree with Bronconut. 68 MPH seems to be a sweet spot for my stock M1009, though I usually cruise 62 to 65.

Last edited:

mistaken1

Drive 55 - Arrive Alive .... or something like that (govt slogan from the 55 interstate era).

Fuel economy goes up significantly when the speedo stays at 55 to 60.

Barrman

Over 65 seems to get most people 17 mpg or so. 60-65 20 mpg.

The M1009 has the most road friendly gearing of just about any military vehicle ever used. It also has just about the best braking system of any military vehicle. Can one do 70 mph safely concerning the engine? Yes. Can it stop safely from that speed? Yes.

3-5 mpg seem to be the cost to your pocket for driving faster today. However, the big problems with the 6.2 work into this talk. Bad harmonic balancers causing cracked crank shafts and cracking main bearing webbing in the block. New balancers are cheap and easy enough to change out. Not so with the block. The best preventive medicine for it is to avoid high rpm.

Stock tires mean about 2000 rpm at 60 mph. 65 mph gives you around 2200 rpm. 70 is around 2400 rpm. That is with full tread and a real 31 inches tall tire. 400 rpm makes a big difference in engine life. It is your truck, so drive it as you see fit.

CycleJay

Hi guys..
BigCrazyBell, I keep it at about 55mph, as the operator manual says to.
And it sounds just fine, not loud at all, and that way, less chance of getting
pulled over for speeding, etc.

Also, it is alot safer then driving faster, and it is good for the gas mileage,
and less stressful & more relaxing to drive that way.

But if you read the manual yourself, it will say top speed is 55mph,
and that is just fine with me.

Have a good day, good luck,

CJ

combatmech

The few short road trips I took with my first oh-nine I wasnt in much of a hurry 55-60......To and from work ( when it was running ) 60-65 and I was getting 20 mpg.....
I have yet to evaluate Thing 2 yet.....

3dubs

Man do not drive around here. You will get run over! 65 MPH is the slowest I go on the freeway. I do the speed limit. On road trips I have done 70 or 75 MPH for long stretches. I know for a fact it can go much faster. Going fast I still can get just over 15 MPG. If you want to save fuel keep it just under 65 MPH if you want to get somewhere fast then burn some diesel and the truck can handle it. With that be sure you have good tires and great brakes. Never drive too fast for the road. Remember you are driving a truck not a sports car!

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive 55-60 on los angeles freeways and they all go 70 or more if they hit me it's there fault there is no minimum speed here but there is a maximum speed:)

3dubs

I drive 55-60 on los angeles freeways and they all go 70 or more if they hit me it's there fault there is no minimum speed here but there is a maximum speed:)
Bigger trucks around here:-( But I find when I am driving a little fast people get out of the way. Drive too fast and they will stay in the way. So it is a balance. Plus I really like the black smoke for those special drivers!:smile:

Really I just like to check the performance. I find the truck has plenty of power for most driving. I only need more power when pulling a trailer up hill. But with just the truck it will go faster than I will drive. So I am happy. If you are lacking power change the air filter, check the compression, and check the IP and injectors.

91W350

Fastest speed? Mine will drive that needle way down there, way past 85. I feel like I am abusing it any time the needle goes past 75 or so, which is 65ish. It will run over 20 mpg at 60 ground speed, 70 on the speedometer. I like the idea of low cost per mile, a vehicle that is very capable for the bucks. Pushing it beyond its mechanical limits does not help me with that or vehicle longevity. Glen

2deuce

I put 33" tires on mine, went on a 300 mile trip pulling a M101a2 trailer, 150 miles with 12-1300 lbs of tires in it, then drove a mix of city and hi-way and it came out 20.9 mpg. My freeway speed usually is around 58- 65mph. I like the 33" tires over the stock 31". 55 mph indicated is really closer to 60. The 33's let you travel with traffic better without so many revs.

cfish

I have 33's on mine and I drive 60. I get 20-21 so far and thats mixed city and highway. I have had it up to 70 and it ran smooth. It like 58-60 still testing for best MPG.

Pawnshop

I have 33's on mine and I never take her over 65 (60 indicated) bare assed, or 60 (55 indicated) with M101A2 trailer following, she is retired and I am in no hurry, and there are no roads in my daily commute with a limit over 65 anyway:)

jamesonsdad

in upstate ny the speed limit is 65 but i too like to keep her around 55-60 at 65 she is loud and revs out the 6.2 will last you if you take care of it and goin slow in a military vehicle IS very relaxing...well for me anyway...enjoy and cheers!!

grayw0lf

Mine also like to cruise about 68mph, though I've gone 72-75 for extended periods w/o problems to date.

I should change my balancer though!