• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Battery / Requirements

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry, that is my wholesale price from my Distributor. It's not retail...but yes, that's what I get them for, that also requires cores come back to them as well.
there was a time when the price was through the roof, back in the Early stages of Iraq and Afghanistan that the prices were IIRC 425.00ea...so I went to Optima red tops.

GMVguy

Man, that's too bad. Anyone got a source for the 6TL's that's under $200? Anything more than that and the Optimas w/adapters seems like the best fit.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry, that is my wholesale price from my Distributor. It's not retail...but yes, that's what I get them for, that also requires cores come back to them as well.
there was a time when the price was through the roof, back in the Early stages of Iraq and Afghanistan that the prices were IIRC 425.00ea...so I went to Optima red tops.
That's what I paid ($125) at General Jims last year . mlacek I would guess even at that price shipping from michigan would wipe out any savings .

GMVguy

HMMWV Battery Requirements

Can anyone help me out with finding specs needed for the HMMWV batteries? Specifically, what are the Cranking Amp & Cold Cranking Amp (CA & CCA) requirements for the HMMWV? And would a starting-type battery be better, or a deep-cycle? Mine will sit most of the month, so I'm thinking deep-cycle. But the only accessory I'll use that'll draw power is a RoboImpact tool via slave port.

The Optima Deep-Cycle (Yellow-top D34) only has 750 CCA and 870 CA, and the red-top 34 has 800 CCA & 1,000 CA.

Where do I need to be?

greenjeepster

6tls are spendy just fyi, but if you don't mind putting up the cash I think mil vehicles look best with the original battery configuration. That being said I try and buy trucks with good batteries, but when I have had to replace them I go with civi replacement batteries and adapt the battery box, just because of the cost.

GMVguy

Optimas red tops or interstate 6TL's...if you go optimas , you will need the battery tray adapter...I have them for 85.00 a set.
Thanks, but I've exhausted all resources for the 6TL's under $200, unless I become a distributor. And I already have the 34 series adapters. So I'm between the yellow-top (deep cycle) and the red-top (starting) group 34s.

Does anyone one have some technical input on the two and its suitability for the Humvee? Basically, the deep-cycle 34 would be better for long periods of sitting (draining), but have lower ratings for CC & CCA's. The red-tops have higher ratings, but won't last as long if there are frequent drain/charge cycles.

I guess it comes down to the question of minimum CA & CCA requirements. What is it for the Humvee?

Thanks,
Matt

greenjeepster

CCA on the 6tl is 825. Pretty much nothing meets that and still fits the battery box. I just buy group 78 battery's which are just over 10 inch length and put out 800 CCA

Augi

I just put two yellow tops into my HMMWV and they start it great. I run a bunch of accessories with the truck off sometimes, so I opted for the deep cycle.

There is nothing special about starting the engine... It's just a 6.2/6.5. I presume 6TL's are used on the bigger trucks for commonality of parts. That's where the cranking power is required.

Augi

GMVguy

I just put two yellow tops into my HMMWV and they start it great. I run a bunch of accessories with the truck off sometimes, so I opted for the deep cycle.

There is nothing special about starting the engine... It's just a 6.2/6.5. I presume 6TL's are used on the bigger trucks for commonality of parts. That's where the cranking power is required.

Augi
Makes sense, thanks. I'm leaning toward the deep-cycle as well due to the frequent draining and charging cycles. I was just concerned about the lower CCAs.

GMVguy

I just called Optima and asked for advice. They told me the Yellow-top D34 are dual purpose - designed for starting and deep cycles. I asked about warranty and they said it's 36-months, whether used for starting or not. I'll proceed with getting those, under the assumption that 750 CCA's are enough... unless anyone can advise against that? I tried finding CCA requirements in the TMs to no avail.

ClarkeF

Red starting or yellow split purpose if you are going to have loads on it without the engine running (radios...). Get the adapter tray - makes them much more secure. Stay away from deep cycle batteries - they are design for low currents over long time - not the heavy demand of a engine crank/start. The yellow are a in-between - thicker plates than the blues to support more current, but able to be partially discharged without impacting life.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks