• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV- Lights - Which wire to tap into

NJPShorelife

Finally have my M998 in my hands. Have two things I plan to install and just want to double check with anyone who may have done the same.
1. Have LED marker light plan to install, front.
2. License plate holder with light

Which wires are ok to tap into?

orgnal

Finally have my M998 in my hands. Have two things I plan to install and just want to double check with anyone who may have done the same.
1. Have LED marker light plan to install, front.
2. License plate holder with light

Which wires are ok to tap into?
I prefer to tap into the horn wire. In Black out mode, horn will not work and so will anything drawing power from it. This is what I wanted and I went this route.

McReddy

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the license I would do the below. Doesn't the LED use the same wiring as the current side marker?

I would get a Y connector and a shell kit and wire up to one of the rear lights. You'll need one of these
Rubber Shell "Y" Connector MS27147-1

One of these
Rubber Shell Connectors (qty 10) MS27144-1

and one of these
Bulkhead Connector For Rubber Shell Connectors, 8741492

and a regular wire connector crimper.

I get my shell connectors from eriksmilitarysurplus Makes it a much more profession job. I'm currently putting a tach in and where I can avoid using the splice type connectors, using the above to connect two wires to the instrument panel. When I added a license plate and light to my M35A3 I used a shell connector and Y.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW....great idea, nice and clean. Good source of components. Much appreciated!
The LED Im adding to the front are clearance lights.
Ahh Now I understand. You had me stumped on that one. You're welcome. I would probably tap off the same thing I tapped off for my tachometer light. 40C wire for the lighting behind the dash panel using the same method as the taillight. I'll post a pic tomorrow/later today, i finished the tach up last night so I still have the instrument panel off. Regards!

Last edited:

NJPShorelife

Just purchased the kit. Easy install. Just incredibly hard to access the cluster of plugs for the tail light as they were encased in a metal shield. That will take some time. Otherwise looks great. Thanks for the tip. Did you end up needing the grounding wire included? Not sure if it is better to go to body or frame with that?

kcobean

Just purchased the kit. Easy install. Just incredibly hard to access the cluster of plugs for the tail light as they were encased in a metal shield. That will take some time. Otherwise looks great. Thanks for the tip. Did you end up needing the grounding wire included? Not sure if it is better to go to body or frame with that?
I didn't need the ground wire. The self-tapping screws were enough to do the trick.

NJPShorelife

Finally getting around to those clearance lights. What I'm atempting to wire in is the center bar.... three windshield clearance lights of an H1... a positive and negative wire connection. I see the Y connector layout...is that red to be the positive wire and the negative wire I would connect to the body ground say? Not familiar enough to see how I would complete the circuit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks