• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv Push Bumper Plans

Doodster

I have an '86 Hmmwv that I want put a push bumper on it. Its my daily driver and feel I need good strong bumper so I dont crack the fiberglass hood in a fender bender...plus it looks cool. However I cant afford the price of even a used one. I plan to make my own. I can get the basic dimensions off of pictures online but seeing if anyone has one they would be willing to take some measurements and possibly a picture of the underside of the bumper so I can see what the cross bracing looks, etc.

Thinking of use 1/4" thick 6" C channel structural steel. Already have some tube and diamond plate that I got free from the local welders scrap pile (I asked he said take whatever you want" With that I should be able to make it for about $250-$300.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

orgnal

I have an '86 Hmmwv that I want put a push bumper on it. Its my daily driver and feel I need good strong bumper so I dont crack the fiberglass hood in a fender bender...plus it looks cool. However I cant afford the price of even a used one. I plan to make my own. I can get the basic dimensions off of pictures online but seeing if anyone has one they would be willing to take some measurements and possibly a picture of the underside of the bumper so I can see what the cross bracing looks, etc.

Thinking of use 1/4" thick 6" C channel structural steel. Already have some tube and diamond plate that I got free from the local welders scrap pile (I asked he said take whatever you want" With that I should be able to make it for about $250-$300.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
That's a great idea!

McReddy

DLJIII

20170605_144256.jpg

This is what I did with my truck.
Same thought as you, such a flat face and open for immediate contact with a fury covered mammal.
I wanted one of the USMC style bumpers but, couldnt afford one.
So, I fabricated my own. Measured it down to keep the wheels exposed, deep enough to tilt the hood, bought some marine rubber dock bumpers for $6 each.
I used the original bumper on the lower section just by chance, I removed it held it up and liked it so it ended up welded in as part of the structure.
I used the original bolt holes, upgraded bolts to grade 8, ran a few one inch tubes from the frame to the front of the bumpers and done.
It was all left over material from other projects and jobs. It works like a charm and was dirt cheap compared to these poor guys that cant stop buying NOS.