• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV struts

FMFHMMWV

Sorry if this is a dumb question but Im new to the HMMWV coming from a chevy suburban. Does the M1123 shock rebound or does it just provide resistance both ways? i pulled my shock out and it has resistance going down but doesnt come back up on its own. is it bad? do the new shocks bounce back up?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only gas shocks rebound on there own.
EDIT, I am not sure if the M1123 had gas shocks or not, just about all the shocks I see for sale are obviously not gas

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the ones I have had are hydraulic, does not mean there are no gas shocks out there.
Gas shocks are more expensive and require frequent replacement in heavy duty applications so I would assume the government does not like purchasing them.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than building a machine to test shocks, if you are not porpoising down the road and they do not show signs of leaking they are likely OK.
If it seems to ride to harsh that is just the nature of the beast. (and what sells 90% of the shocks)
If you have a truck that WAS up armored it will likely ride very rough.