• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv with 12.5 r20 xl tires

dilligaf13

I'm going to guess that if anyone has ever done it they regretted it, unless they modified the engine for more hp. HMMWV's are performance "dogs" by design and adding bigger and heavier tires only makes that worse. If I were to go to bigger tires I would look at lighter tires like Toyo's, Nittos or Super Swampers but w/o a more powerful engine I think you'd regret it quickly.

KansasBobcat

I'm going to guess that if anyone has ever done it they regretted it, unless they modified the engine for more hp. HMMWV's are performance "dogs" by design and adding bigger and heavier tires only makes that worse. If I were to go to bigger tires I would look at lighter tires like Toyo's, Nittos or Super Swampers but w/o a more powerful engine I think you'd regret it quickly.
Agree. With 6.2 NA going lighter rather than heavier is best performance-wise. From "wanted parts" posts the trend seems to be adding weight. Driving as is before adding weight seems a good idea

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you'll have to worry that much with weight when you toss those heavy bead lock centers.
you will surely regret removing those run flats...while a PITA I know, cuz i jhabe to install them for my cusotmers...but several have thanked me later! One in particular was on the Rubicon, shredded a tire, had to drive a mile till he found anything flat enough to change to the spare....now, this was a guy who I had to convince to keep them. Suffice to say, when he came to my shop, there was no convincing.
This very same customer lost a tire sometime later on the Richmond/ San Rafael Bridge....he said Efff it and just drove the couple of miles to his house.

I think a lot of it depends on usage. When I changed tires I decided not to install the run-flats and went with PVC bead locks. There was certainly the PITA factor of removing and installing them involved in that decision. But I'm not really an off-roading guy and will never be anywhere where I could not change a flat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks