• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hole in oil pan 6.2

grantcourtney

Ever have one of those days? Put a couple of hundred miles on a Hummer 6.2 takeout and it blew a hole in the oil pan on the way home today.

Anyone know of a reputable rebuilder of 6.2's. i have 2 cores now! I live in Mississippi.

The only problem the motor was showing was white smoke for the first few minutes after a cold startup, one pipe only. Coasting to a stop at a red light and it turns green and i put foot on accelerator at about 20 mph and POOOOFFFFF. Wasn't loud and I thought i had thrown the power steering belt. Not that lucky.

Purchased a Hummer motor from a fellow steel soldier in the crate. Stripped it down to the long block and it looked like it had at most 30K miles on it. Original motor had rebuilt injector pump, alternator (12 V civi version), and i replaced everything else under the hood. Ran like a sewing machine.

Help! It is my work truck and I virtually live in it. Want to have it as my dependable daily driver for many years to come.

wayne pick

There is a reason it blew up. If there are cracks in the lower end webbing, it's done and not worthy of a rebuild. Check the other core for cracks also. If the blocks are cracked, toss em. Rebuilding a 6.2 is costly unless you do it yourself, and finding a good 6.2 rebuilder can be difficult. A reman long block may be the way to go, just bolt your stuff to it. Ted's trucks n stuff in Alabama has compression tested running takeouts, they have 6.2, and 6.5s. I never delt with them but heard good reviews.