• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hopeing to pick up a wrecker tomorrow.

drjconley

i am hopeing to pick up a multifuel wrecker tomorrow. i am very thankfull for everyone who pointed me to the proper tms for the wrecker. reading through the tms is certainly a fast paced education. i havent been able to find but one close up picture of how the hook ups look when towing a vehicle. is it possible or safe to tow non military vehicles with out a tow bar hook up. by the way i passed my class a commercial on monday so i dont get too harrassed by leos. when driving these home is everyone getting a temp tag from dmv, or are you putting a triangle on the back, calling it farm equipment, and going slow.
thank you
jim

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you are wanting to drive a civy to the truck's location, and tow it home with the wrecker, I would reccomend getting a civy tow bar intended for that vehicle. If you have a military tow bar you can try to make it work, but please be careful.

area52

. is it possible or safe to tow non military vehicles with out a tow bar hook up.
possible? Yes, but you would need to figure out how to lift the civilian vehicle with your boom/hook without damaging it ( the vehicle) If it has a flimsy,cheapo front bumper then its alot harder to figure out how to do it

is everyone getting a temp tag from dmv, or are you putting a triangle on the back, calling it farm equipment, and going slow.

I just get insurance and drive it home but thats not the most "legal" way. DMV should be able to get you a temp tag.

thank you
jim
good luck

Hammer

If you tow a civilian vehicle with it, the temp tags technically won't cover it. They are supposed to be for that vehicle only. A trailer is ok if it is supposed to be part of the vehicle (think logging truck, etc).
It will also draw the eye of LEOs.

Do what I do, have a second person drive the civi vehicle back so you can have a chase vehicle if something happens. This also makes it a lot easier to go past scales with a MV ;) Heck, even the border inspection station waves me through when I go through the truck lane ;)

drjconley

i think i have everything for today. i have a friend driving my vehicle as a chase car. i have proof of insurance, and i have a temporary tag from dmv. i hope everything goes well. what rpm should i run a multifuel 5 ton at on the highway. i was very surprised at how cheap insurance was, i have usaa and it was less than 100 a year.
jim

Hammer

2,650 rpm, same as the deuce.
Unless it has the LDS-465-2 motor, then I think they have a higher redline?