• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn broken, watch for finger

msoumas

In the process of installing an aftermarket horn to my M1009, I seem to have done a bit of damage. I can get the horn to sound by running a wire straight to the battery, but it won't work when I hook it up to the horn button. All I get when I press the horn is a clicking sound from under the dash somewhere. No beep, no satisfaction. Any idea what I've fried THIS time?

Elwenil

Might want to check if the factory horn setup is switched on the positive or negative side. I have no idea which it is for a CUCV but it's not an uncommon mistake to make.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The horn is grounded through the steering wheel. If the guts in the steering wheel are not installed properly, it will either not work, or stay on all of the time. The relay could be bad but its not likely if it clicks.

msoumas

I have no idea, none of the install even involved touching the steering column... I was going from the original horn wiring behind the grille.

AJMBLAZER

Do you have the ground wire from the OEM horn on the new horn?

This system requires a hot and the factory ground on the horn(s).